Grade showing on professor's side, but not mine (student)

Jump to solution
jessica_b_ratcl
Community Novice

Hello,

My professor has told me she has posted my grade, however it still shows - of 20 for me on my end. This has now happened in another class, so I am starting to think it's a "me" problem. Is there a setting I need to change so that I can see my grade? 

1 Solution
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @jessica_b_ratcl  Welcome to the Canvas Community and sorry to see that your question has been out here a few days. Perhaps the issue has resolved itself by now (wishful thinking, I know!), because this is a bit of a odd problem.  I can certainly understand why you may think it's a "me" problem, but assuming you are seeing something similar in your other class (primarily the issue of a dash where the grade should be), that actually complicates things a bit.

First, just a do a quick review of your browser and make sure everything is up to date there, as outlined here:  Which browsers does Canvas support?   But otherwise, the "complication" that I refer to is this: normally, if a grade has been graded for students but perhaps still hidden for whatever reason, you should actually be seeing an eye icon, similar to the one pictured at item number 7 on the very first screen capture on this page: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-16533-4212829283 A dash icon--as you may know by now from your other classes--indeed means that an item has not been graded yet for you, as shown on a screen capture further down on that same page.  Furthermore, if this was an online quiz (I'm not sure it was), it would have a Missing label next to it after the due date.

I know you said the professor told you that she posted your grade, but see if you can circle back to her and ask if she's positive that YOU were graded and what she is seeing in her gradebook for you.  And show her this same screen capture.  Frankly--and I am not saying this has happened in this case, but it is worth mentioning--there is still some confusion surrounding a new-ish grade posting policy that Canvas rolled out to instructors over the past few months. I know this because I'm a Canvas administrator at my institution and am still getting questions about it. 

If you are reluctant to do this and/or you get the same answer, you may have little alternative but to approach your institution's technical support.  Show them what you are seeing on your screen.  Perhaps they may reach out to your professor(s) or even take a look at what the courses in question are showing for them on their side.

The issue, again, is that dash symbol. That, to me, means it simply has not been graded or at least did not get input into the gradebook correctly.  This will be delicate discussion, to be sure, but it will be a necessary one to help solve this issue.

I hope this helps a bit, Jessica.  Good luck!  And good luck on your studies.

View solution in original post