cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor II

Gradebook (Classic) number/numeral format: Remove comma from numerals > 999?

Jump to solution

Greetings.  In Classic Gradebook, is it possible to display numerals greater than 999 without commas?  I am looking to make numbers appear as 1234, but when I enter this the gradebook displays it as 1,234.  I did scour the Guides in search of an answer/solution but didn't come across one.  Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

I doubt you'll be able to change the format of how a number is displayed, but what if it wasn't a number?  I created the example below with an Assignment worth 1234 points.  I set the Display Grade as to Letter Grade, and then set a scale so that 100% = 1234.  Then I entered a grade for the student of 1234.  As you can see it works to effectively remove the comma but whether it will work for your case depends on the specifics of the assignment and if/how you want it counting as a value towards the overall grade.

rmurchshafer1_0-1600016195956.png

Good luck,

Rick

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

I doubt you'll be able to change the format of how a number is displayed, but what if it wasn't a number?  I created the example below with an Assignment worth 1234 points.  I set the Display Grade as to Letter Grade, and then set a scale so that 100% = 1234.  Then I entered a grade for the student of 1234.  As you can see it works to effectively remove the comma but whether it will work for your case depends on the specifics of the assignment and if/how you want it counting as a value towards the overall grade.

rmurchshafer1_0-1600016195956.png

Good luck,

Rick

View solution in original post

Highlighted

@rmurchshafer1: Thanks so much!  Just a quick clarification, though:  When you say "set a scale so that 100% = 1234" is this referring to a custom grading scheme I would create?  Or are "scale" and "grading scheme" different things?  Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Yes, a custom grading scheme; sorry I got lazy and didn't use the exact terminology.  You can set a custom grading scheme by assignment even so it doesn't have to match something you might already be using for the Course Grade.

Rick

Highlighted
Surveyor II

Thanks!  I love the creativity of this solution—however, I want to keep the course's existing grading scheme.  Based on what I read at https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Question-Forum/Multiple-grading-schemes-for-a-course/m-p/194298 , I think it is not possible to use two schemes in one course—is that right?  I realize the post is from April 2020 but I didn't see a more recent post when I looked for one.  If indeed it is not possible to use multiple schemes, then it looks like I won't be able to use this solution, but I will remember it for the future.  Thank you again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

That post is correct that you can only do one grading scheme per class for the overall course grade, but you can have different grading schemes on each assignment if you wish. That is what I was counting on for this example and not really worrying about how it impacted the course grade because I didn't have enough information to even consider it.  As such, what I came up with may not work in the "big picture" but did accomplish the specific example of displaying 1,234 as 1234.

Rick

Highlighted
Surveyor II

@rmurchshafer1 : Huzzah! I was able to use your solution after all and it worked. The key for me was that prior to reading your reply I did not know that within one course different assignments can have different grading schemes (I thought that one course used only one grading scheme). Once I realized that, I used the help pages to set that up and then was able to use your method (which worked like a charm). Again, thank you so much!

0 Kudos
Top Kudoed Authors
Labels