cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aaron_bahmer
Adventurer

Gradebook Export: So Many Columns??

Jump to solution

I just spoke with a faculty member who had exported her gradebook and was viewing in Excel. She was interested to know if she had made some setting somewhere that was causing (essentially) multiple columns of the same information. Of course, she knows she can delete the columns from the spreadsheet.

For example, even without assignment groups, she sees these 6 columns when 2 (highlighted) would be sufficient. I'm assuming with many assignment groups, this list would be 6x longer for each assignment group.

Assignments Current PointsAssignments Final PointsAssignments Current ScoreAssignments Unposted Current ScoreAssignments Final ScoreAssignments Unposted Final Score

Then for final score/grade, these 6 columns when 2 would be sufficient:

Current PointsFinal PointsCurrent ScoreUnposted Current ScoreFinal ScoreUnposted Final Score

And, one more set when a grading scheme is applied to the class:

Current GradeUnposted Current GradeFinal GradeUnposted Final Grade
AAAA

Can someone please explain the source and purpose of the "unposted" columns? -- they are not "muted" in the gradebook.

Related to the "current" vs "final" columns, perhaps just a better sequence that groups the currents together and the finals together would be easier to read/interpret, etc.

Thoughts? Thanks!

[Edit to use proper terminology: assignment groups]

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi  @aaron_bahmer ,  I just looked this up myself.  The mystery is explained in the Canvas doc How do I export grades from the Gradebook? 

"The Total Score displayed in the Gradebook reflects each student's score at the time of viewing, taking into account whether the instructor has muted assignments, assignment due dates, etc. The CSV download includes read-only columns for current and final scores. Current score reflects the total while ignoring unsubmitted assignments, and the final score counts unsubmitted assignments as zero. Muted assignments are unposted grades and shown in separate columns for unposted current score and unposted final score, respectively."

Unposted is a grade that's muted, and final means that unsubmitted assignments count as 0 points.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Community Member

Hi  @aaron_bahmer  ,

The 'gradebook' ('Grades') is driven by 'Assignments', so I would recommend looking into the instructors use and construct of their 'Assignments' area. Assignments appear in the gradebook in the same order in which they are listed under 'Assignments'. Also, each assignment 'group' is then listed towards the end of the gradebook, following all individual assignments as a sub-total column for that 'group', immediately preceding the full gradebook 'Total'.

If the instructor is NOT using 'weighted' grades, there is really no functional reason to have more than one 'assignments' group in the 'Assignments' area.

I hope this makes sense and helps the instructor either redesign their course gradebook, or decipher the exported gradbook spreadsheet.

As always, let me know if you have any questions!   ;>)

aaron_bahmer
Adventurer

925024864, thanks for your observations. I've edited my original question to clarify that the instructor has only the one, default, assignment group. None of the columns I've listed represent faculty-created assignment items, so the multiple columns I've included in the question appear only in the csv export. The gold-highlighted columns are the ones I would expect from the design of her assignment groupings - the group sub-total as you explain and the overall total.

Thanks for the clarification Aaron,

Taking a closer look at your columns, it looks like this might have to do with 'conditional assignments' and/or 'Masterypaths'... but this is just a semi-educated guess. Please let me know what you find out.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @aaron_bahmer ...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I stumbled upon your question.  I wanted to check in with you because I noticed that there hasn't been any new activity in this topic since 925024864's reply on July 16, 2018.  Have you been able to get this issue resolved on your end based on Earl's responses?  Are you still looking for some feedback related to this question?  If you feel that either of Earl's responses has helped to answer your question, please feel free to click the "Mark Correct" button next to the reply you feel is most correct.  However, if you are still looking for some help with this question, please come back to this topic to post a message below so that someone from the Community might be able to assist you.  For now, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because we have not had any new activity in this topic for almost five months.  However, that will not keep you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Aaron.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

@chofer , thanks for circling back to this posting. I've not heard anything about the columns labeled "unposted," so there hasn't really been an answer to my original inquiry. I reviewed the CSV export again today and still see those columns with the "unposted" label. We're just moving on without fretting about it.

Hi  @aaron_bahmer ,  I just looked this up myself.  The mystery is explained in the Canvas doc How do I export grades from the Gradebook? 

"The Total Score displayed in the Gradebook reflects each student's score at the time of viewing, taking into account whether the instructor has muted assignments, assignment due dates, etc. The CSV download includes read-only columns for current and final scores. Current score reflects the total while ignoring unsubmitted assignments, and the final score counts unsubmitted assignments as zero. Muted assignments are unposted grades and shown in separate columns for unposted current score and unposted final score, respectively."

Unposted is a grade that's muted, and final means that unsubmitted assignments count as 0 points.

View solution in original post

@Nancy_Webb_CCSF , huh, who would've thought to look in the documentation Smiley Wink Thank you for solving my mystery!

Thank you for your big thank you,  @aaron_bahmer ‌!  It would be nice if those columns had easier to understand names for sure.  It's rather nice that they have a total where unsubmitted assignments are treated as 0 in addition to one where they are ignored, it gives us a very good record.