Highlighted
Community Member

Gradebook accuracy?

Jump to solution

Do you find that grades calculated by the Gradebook are accurate? We have a situation where Math faculty compute student grades in Excel because they have found that Canvas Gradebook calculations are inaccurate. Does anyone else report this problem?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Lamplighter

distance_ed@ccp.edu 

I am also a math professor and that doesn't keep me from making arithmetic errors. However, every time I've looked the calculations for someone in the Community who doubts Canvas' ability to calculate, it has turned out that it is a lack of understanding of how the gradebook works, rather than a miscalculation by Canvas.

Humans have a tendency to do things the way with which we are familiar and are unable to envision that there might be another way of doing it. We tend to impose our rules on Canvas rather than understanding what Canvas is doing and how it's doing it.

On another note, keeping track of grades in Excel is problematic if you assignment groups or drop grades as that information does not come over to Excel.

If you can provide a specific example, remove the personally identifying information, of what Canvas does and what they think it should be, we can take a look at it. We will need any assignment group weights, drop/keep rules, and, of course, the grades themselves.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Highlighted
Lamplighter

distance_ed@ccp.edu 

I am also a math professor and that doesn't keep me from making arithmetic errors. However, every time I've looked the calculations for someone in the Community who doubts Canvas' ability to calculate, it has turned out that it is a lack of understanding of how the gradebook works, rather than a miscalculation by Canvas.

Humans have a tendency to do things the way with which we are familiar and are unable to envision that there might be another way of doing it. We tend to impose our rules on Canvas rather than understanding what Canvas is doing and how it's doing it.

On another note, keeping track of grades in Excel is problematic if you assignment groups or drop grades as that information does not come over to Excel.

If you can provide a specific example, remove the personally identifying information, of what Canvas does and what they think it should be, we can take a look at it. We will need any assignment group weights, drop/keep rules, and, of course, the grades themselves.

View solution in original post