cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rrudd
Surveyor II

Gradebook using complete or incomplete grading

Jump to solution

I am using Contract Grading in my class this term and that means that instead of points I am using complete/incomplete grades. However, when I export the gradebook I lose all the check marks and Xs which are all replaced with zero. When I try to print the page from my browser, I can't get the whole gradebook to print.  Help! Any suggestions?

310158_pastedImage_2.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@rrudd , it's going to be hard to print the gradebook without downloading it first. But yes, as you noted, the check marks and X's are then removed. You might have been able to do a find and replace in Excel to change things back to what they should have been, but since everything is worth 0 points, then yes, your gradebook would be filled with zeros. Maybe if you explained what you need the printed gradebook for we could help figure out a possible solution. 

Kona

View solution in original post

6 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@rrudd , it's going to be hard to print the gradebook without downloading it first. But yes, as you noted, the check marks and X's are then removed. You might have been able to do a find and replace in Excel to change things back to what they should have been, but since everything is worth 0 points, then yes, your gradebook would be filled with zeros. Maybe if you explained what you need the printed gradebook for we could help figure out a possible solution. 

Kona

View solution in original post

Kona,

Thanks for the reply. I don't need the printed copy; I need to be able to download/backup my grades. I chatted with someone at Canvas and found out that the only option is to assign a numeric value (such as 0 for incomplete and 1 for complete) so that the gradebook will retain the information when downloading. Just disappointing--and a lot of work given we are halfway through the semester--that what appears in the gradebook doesn't automatically mean you can save that record anywhere outside of Canvas. Having a check mark or an "x" was clearer for students to recognize when they have or have not been credit for an assignment, but it is what it is. Thanks again.

Becky

yvonne_reineke
Community Member

I've done Complete/Incomplete in Canvas for several years for contract grading--same frustration. I click on each student's name and then grade at the end of the semester and save them as PDFs. The Complete/Incomplete shows up there, so I can count off what they have completed successfully. I have a record then and I put them into a file folder. It's rather cumbersome, but it is a record of what they completed per the specifications. 

I should have looked back at this thread sooner! I didn't think about the individual grade reports as both a way for students to easily see and for me to download an end-of-term record.  Yes, it would be time consuming, but I think it would be worth it since using 0 or incomplete and 1 for complete doesn't seem to provide students with a clear sense of where they are.  Plus, Canvas then takes the points and puts a percentage that students often think is representative of their grade in the class (despite a clearly articulated grading contract and a worksheet I've created for them).  They just want to be able to look on Canvas and I don't blame them!  Ultimately, it would be ideal if other options for the gradebook made it easier to track students' progress and standing in the class when using specifications/contract grading.

yvonne_reineke
Community Member

Of course, it would be awesome if Canvas actually recognized contract/labor/specifications grading and somehow created a download for whole class--so much easier. And how long has specs grading been a thing now?

ehedrick
Surveyor

Canvas really needs to take contract grading into consideration when they do the next patch.