cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Graded assignment, can't submit grade?

Jump to solution

I have a graded quiz that that is not "behaving". My students are reporting they can see a grade, but that it is saying "instructor is still working on grades." Also, I see Qs over the grades, showing quiz submissions, but all my grades for this assignments are highlighted in gray. Not sure what's going on... any ideas?

-Chris

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Normally this happens because there are questions on the quiz that need to be manually graded. Have you checked the quiz to see if any of your quiz questions need to be graded? If not, have you changed anything on the quiz? If you change something on the quiz after students have taken it you will need to go through and for each student scroll to the bottom of their quiz (in Speedgrader) and click the "Update Scores" button.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Normally this happens because there are questions on the quiz that need to be manually graded. Have you checked the quiz to see if any of your quiz questions need to be graded? If not, have you changed anything on the quiz? If you change something on the quiz after students have taken it you will need to go through and for each student scroll to the bottom of their quiz (in Speedgrader) and click the "Update Scores" button.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

wall_christopher@smc.edu​,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

Highlighted
Community Member

Thank you for the help I eventually sorted this out, but perhaps you can assist me in avoiding this in the future: So what had happened was... students needed more time for an exam essay, but the exams had already been submitted. I couldn't figure out how to open already submitted exams (allowing more time would work if exams were not yet submitted, as I understand it). I opted to open a "multiple attempts" for the exam, so students could start a new exam submission but only allowed the essay portion to be answered. I would then add these essay points as "fudge points" to their first exam grade. However, this work around was not pleasing to Canvas, and the system thought I had ungraded exam material (i.e., the blank ungraded portions of the students second exam attempt). Once I manually grade the portions of the exams flagged by Canvas I was allowed to post grades.

So my Q: can I allow students to return to exams that have already been submitted, or allow them to edit certain responses and not others? Say, if I wanted them to leave all multiple choice questions, but answer essays.  Thanks again.

Highlighted

If the quiz is still in progress, you can use the moderate quiz function to allow more time. However, there is currently not a way to reopen or extend a quiz that has already been submitted.

One thing that I do is divide my exams into two parts: Part One is anything that automatically grades, and Part Two contains essay questions. This helps time management, and it also makes it easier to grade the essay portion because I can focus only on the grading I need to do without multiple choice questions getting in the way.

There is a feature request for the kind of moderation you are asking for though:

I hope that helps!