cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor

Graded survey giving partial scores

I accidentally created an Ungraded Survey for my class. It should have been a Graded Survey. Some students completed the survey before I made the change to a Graded Survey. For these students, they are now seeing a partial grade (e.g. 1/5) for their grade, when in reality they should be seeing 5/5 for completing it. Is this a bug? Is there a way around it?

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello @jupsal ...

Graded surveys (and ungraded surveys, for that matter) are a little strange in the Quizzes feature of Canvas.  The fact that some students are not getting a 5/5 for the survey questions doesn't mean they have not fully answered the questions.  The weirdness comes in because Canvas is expecting a "correct" answer to your survey questions...even though surveys, by their nature, do not have a "correct" answer.  So, for example, if you had five multiple choice survey questions and set each of the "correct" answers as the first choice (even though it's not really "correct"), then a student took your survey but chose other answers besides the first choice...one could expect to see scores such as 1/5, 2/5, 3/5, 4/5, or 5/5...depending on their thoughts about your questions.  And it's weird because there really isn't a way to *not* specify a "correct" answer.  More information about surveys can be found in this Guide: How do I create a survey in my course? - Canvas Community.

Does this help?  Hope to hear back from you soon.  Take care, stay safe, and be well.

Highlighted

I understand that, but I thought that graded surveys automatically gave full points for any completion. In this course I have had other surveys where everyone got 100%. I find it hard to believe that 400 students selected the same multiple choice answer on that survey. So what makes this one different? Further, if this is the case for graded surveys, then what is the difference between a graded survey and a graded quiz?