cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
arunkottol
Community Member

Grades Passback for External Courses with embedded Assignments

My understanding is that the "lis_result_sourcedid" and the "lis_outcome_service_url" are required to pass grades back. For the Canvas to send this information to the Tool Provider, the assignment has to be launched from the Assignment section of the course.

Question: A tool provider Course has assignments embedded in the course. This means that the course is always launched as a course-tool. Assignments are integrated in the external course and students are required to take the assignment after each section of the course. Is there a way for the Tool provider to retrieve the information required to pass grades back for all Students enrolled in the course?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Hello,  @arunkottol ‌, and welcome to the Canvas Community! Due to the technical nature of this question, I've shared it with the https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/canvas-developers?sr=search&searchId=de8fb0d4-1f72-4a4e-b62b-...‌ group. You can join that group by clicking on the group link and selecting Join Group from the Actions menu at the upper right of the page. And while you're doing that, would you please also click on your profile icon to edit your profile so that it displays your name? Thanks!

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @arunkottol ‌...

While I don't have an answer for you, I wanted to check in with you because it's been quite a while since there's been any new activity in this particular discussion topic.  Since you first posted this question on February 10th, have you been able to come up with any solution on your own that you would be willing to share with us here in the Canvas Community?  Or, are you still looking for assistance with this?  If you could please come back to this thread and post an update below, that would be great.  Looking forward to hearing from you soon!

Hello Chris,

Yes, I am still looking to see if there is way out for such a scenario. I haven't found and answer to this question. For me, some other more urgent items put this in the back burner but I still do need to get to this in due course of time. 

I was thinking that if we were able to pass these 2 variables ("lis_result_sourcedid", "lis_outcome_service_url") as substitution parameters in the course tool launch, I will still be able to pass grades back to Canvas without explicitly having to add an assignment. I haven't seen any LTI substitution variables for these fields.

I hope I am not missing anything here.  I would definitely appreciate any advice / help from the community. Thanks.

Arun Kottol 

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@arunkottol ‌,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie