cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tamychapman
Community Member

Grading Components

Hi,

We have departments that require students pass two graded components in order to pass a class (the components are called Practical and Written). Students must pass the Practical component (with multiple assignments) and the Written Component (with multiple assignments) separately in order to pass the class, but they also get a percentage for the final grade. Can this be set up using Groups or a Grade Scheme? Help me figure out the math. Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Tamy

7 Replies
Community Member

Welcome Tamy Chapman,

This is a great Community and a fabulous resource for all of us!

I have done a quick sample construct of one method that might work for you, or some variation thereof, using 'Weighted Grades'.. see below.

First, an example of one possible schedule/construct of the 'Assignments:

Assignments Schedule_Construct

Second, one possible use/construct of Modules for the assignments above:

Possible use_construct of Modules

And finally, this is how the 'weighted Assignment Groups display in the GradeBook:

Weighted Assignment Groups in GradeBook

This is off the top of my head, and only some initial thoughts. Hopefully it generates some thoughts and collaboration from others.

Thanks for trying, but that doesn't give the result needed. Canvas can still only give a final grade based on the total grade, not based on two groups both being passed. The courses I'm referring to have two assignment groups--50% and 50%--so students can fail one and still pass the class. We need them to be required to pass both assignment groups with 70%+ and pass the total score 70%+. I think I'm realizing no LMS can do that. It's a problem with how the classes were set up, probably before there were computers....

Hi Tamy Chapman,

Thanks for the additional details. So, the Canvas GradeBook is just a reflection of what is graded in Canvas, and how it is setup using available technologies, and that it is NOT necessarily an accurate overall final grade for the course. If this is clearly stated in both the syllabus, and an 'about this course' page, along with the requirement 'to receive at least 70% in both Practical and Written components/categories of the course in order to receive a passing final course grade', you can then hand edit the 'final grade' in the GradeBook to show an overall failing grade for the course, if 70% is NOT attained in either or both categories. If 70% is attained in both categories, then the 'final grade' in the Gradebook would be accurate.

I hope this makes sense and is a workable use of the existing functionalities of the Canvas Assignments and GradeBook. 

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@tamychapman ‌, I'm dropping this link in here with the up-front caveat that I've never tried this myself, and I don't know if it will accommodate your use case precisely, but you might be able to adapt the solution in Override / Adjust the Final Grade to achieve this type of grading. 

Stefanie, that's a clever idea. It might work. Thanks for sharing that.

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@tamychapman ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

I learned at a recent Canvas Con that a new feature to be rolled out soon is a grade adjustment column in the gradebook where instructors will be able to manually adjust the final grade. This will probably be the easiest solution for us.