cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
garciah
Community Member

Grading Student Submissions

Jump to solution

When a student has multiple submissions in a file upload assignment in Speedgrader, I'm finding that, regardless of which submission I grade, the grade I give is associated with the most recent file. This is problematic because, for this particular assignment, the students are told that only their first submission will be graded. Additionally, if I annotate and leave comments on the earlier file, the student can't access the feedback because, when they bring up the assignment and grade, they only see their most recent submission. I feel like I must be missing something... But, since I can't limit the number of submissions and I can't delete student submissions, I can't seem to figure out how I associate grades and feedback with the original file upload, when additional files have been submitted.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kblack
Community Member

@garciah ​, the great  @kona ​ addressed this shortcoming on this post here:  I have a teacher who comments (annotates) on student submissions in order for them to do corrections...

As Kona mentions, the only way around this is to recommend students download the first version's comments as soon as they can.  This option is easily overlooked by students.  They can click on the icon shown below after clicking the View Feedback link:

download pdf.jpg

That, in turn, will open a dialog box with the option to download an annotated PDF version of the submission.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
kblack
Community Member

@garciah ​, the great  @kona ​ addressed this shortcoming on this post here:  I have a teacher who comments (annotates) on student submissions in order for them to do corrections...

As Kona mentions, the only way around this is to recommend students download the first version's comments as soon as they can.  This option is easily overlooked by students.  They can click on the icon shown below after clicking the View Feedback link:

download pdf.jpg

That, in turn, will open a dialog box with the option to download an annotated PDF version of the submission.

View solution in original post

garciah
Community Member

Thanks  @kblack  and  @kona  for this workaround, but this workaround assumes that the instructor has a chance to grade before the student submits another file... In this particular case, students are told to only submit one file, so let's just hope they follow those instructions because otherwise there's no way for us to leave them feedback on their original submission using Crocodocs.

@garciah , yes, that is the clear drawback of the workaround, as it puts intense pressure on the instructor to grade first submissions just as soon as they come in (as well as pressure on the students to download the annotated version immediately), and we know that that's not always possible. While it might not help immediately, you and your instructor will be pleased to see that this feature idea--one that would go a long way toward solving the problem--has received a favorable comment from Instructure:

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@garciah ​, I 100% agree! Even though this idea has been archived, I'd still recommend commenting on the following feature idea -