cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Grading by modules?

Jump to solution

Is there a way to adjust Canvas Grades to get a score-per-module, rather than a cumulative score for the whole semester?

I would like to be able to see how much of the practice work a student did for each unit (module), so I can compare that to their summative assessments for that module. 

Right now it all keeps adding and adding.

Thanks for any help.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi eleanor_campbell@beaverton.k12.or.us​...

One way you could accomplish this would be to create assignment groups on your "Assignments" page of your course that mimic your Modules.  So, if you had five Modules in your course, you could create five separate assignment groups and then organize the assignments into each of the assignment groups (you wouldn't have to use the grade weighting...because it might not make sense to do so in this setup).  Then, once you have organized your assignment groups and the assignments within them, when you look at your Gradebook view, you'd see five separate columns (one for each assignment group) at the end of your Gradebook which would give you an idea of how your students are doing in each Module.  Here is a Canvas Guide for you to look through: How do I add an assignment group in a course?.  Do you think this might work for your needs?

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi eleanor_campbell@beaverton.k12.or.us​...

One way you could accomplish this would be to create assignment groups on your "Assignments" page of your course that mimic your Modules.  So, if you had five Modules in your course, you could create five separate assignment groups and then organize the assignments into each of the assignment groups (you wouldn't have to use the grade weighting...because it might not make sense to do so in this setup).  Then, once you have organized your assignment groups and the assignments within them, when you look at your Gradebook view, you'd see five separate columns (one for each assignment group) at the end of your Gradebook which would give you an idea of how your students are doing in each Module.  Here is a Canvas Guide for you to look through: How do I add an assignment group in a course?.  Do you think this might work for your needs?

View solution in original post

Highlighted

That might work, Chris, and I will try it.

What puzzles me is this: I created the assignments in the Modules setting, and they are already assigned to specific modules. Yet when I look at Grades, they all show up in one long line, not as separate Modules.

It would be helpful if I didn't have to do the separate step of again sorting them into Modules by the steps you suggest, since I already created them within specific Modules.

Thanks again for your reply.

Eleanor Campbell

School of Science and Technology

BSD Capital Center

18640 NW Walker Road

Beaverton, Oregon 97006

Ph. (503) 533-1853

FAX (503) 533-1856

Highlighted

The problem with the idea that modules and assignment groups should be the same by default is that not everyone's grading lines up with their module organization. I organize my modules chronologically, but my grading system is not chronological. As Chris said, the current system is flexible and allows different instructors to grade and organize as they wish. The current system will do as you like with only a few minutes effort by making assignment groups that mimic your modules, and if you need help, the community has many people willing to volunteer their time to assist. Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Good point; thanks. I hadn't thought of that.

Eleanor Campbell

BSD Capital Center

18640 NW Walker Road

Beaverton, Oregon 97006

Ph. (503) 533-1853

FAX (503) 533-1856

Highlighted

Thanks again; I have just created the groups in the Assignments area, and the grading is not showing up by Assignment Group.

I wish there were a way to create it in the Module and at the same time assign it to an Assignment group without the extra step.

Do you know of such a possibility?

Again, many thanks for your quick resolution of the central issue!

Eleanor Campbell

BSD Capital Center

18640 NW Walker Road

Beaverton, Oregon 97006

Ph. (503) 533-1853

FAX (503) 533-1856

Highlighted

Never mind! I just found that now, when I create an assignment in a Module, it offers me the chance to assign it to an Assignment Group then and there.

Yay!

Eleanor Campbell

BSD Capital Center

18640 NW Walker Road

Beaverton, Oregon 97006

Ph. (503) 533-1853

FAX (503) 533-1856