cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dverdonck
Community Member

Group Sets

Jump to solution

I am having students do weekly group projects (actually labs in science course) with different groups each week.  Over the course of the term there will be 20 groups each week for 10 weeks so 200 groups in all.  I created "group sets" for each week, for example "Week 1" with 20 groups in each set.  When I view "people" I see a tab for each set but the students don't.  I know this is normal for Canvas.  The problem is that by the end of the term students will need to scroll though 200 groups to find and join the correct one.  Is there any way to have the students see the Group Set tabs or "disable" a group set so it isn't visible after it is used without deleting the completed projects or associated grades.

David

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobDitto
Navigator

Each group on the student Groups listing in a course will indicate the name of the group set:

How do I join a group as a student?

In the image under the Join Groups heading, you'll see the group set name in smaller gray text immediately to the right of the group name.  For example, in:

Unit 4 Group 1 Unit 4 Groups

• "Unit 4 Group 1" is the group name
  • "Unit 4 Groups" is the name of the group set to which that group belongs.

Be aware that with 200 groups, students will have to scroll down in order to see the full list of groups or to be able to join a group from any set.  Thus, I suggest warning students that the list of available groups will take a minute or two to load.  If it loads even more slowly than what I described, then you may want to click Help and choose to "Report a Problem".  (At our institution, I reported a problem with slowness student view of groups in our large courses and now have an on-hold bug case based on that problem report.)

Regarding:

"disable" a group set so it isn't visible after it is used

While disabling isn't possible, a saving grace might be that after a student signs up for one group in a set, the others from that group set (the ones not chosen) will drop out of the list since they are no longer available to join.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @dverdonck ​...

I don't believe this is possible using just the normal GUI of Canvas.  If there was some kind of JavaScript available, I'm not sure what that would be.  Normally, students would access any course-related groups either from the "Courses & Groups" menu or from the Home page of their course.

RobDitto
Navigator

Each group on the student Groups listing in a course will indicate the name of the group set:

How do I join a group as a student?

In the image under the Join Groups heading, you'll see the group set name in smaller gray text immediately to the right of the group name.  For example, in:

Unit 4 Group 1 Unit 4 Groups

• "Unit 4 Group 1" is the group name
  • "Unit 4 Groups" is the name of the group set to which that group belongs.

Be aware that with 200 groups, students will have to scroll down in order to see the full list of groups or to be able to join a group from any set.  Thus, I suggest warning students that the list of available groups will take a minute or two to load.  If it loads even more slowly than what I described, then you may want to click Help and choose to "Report a Problem".  (At our institution, I reported a problem with slowness student view of groups in our large courses and now have an on-hold bug case based on that problem report.)

Regarding:

"disable" a group set so it isn't visible after it is used

While disabling isn't possible, a saving grace might be that after a student signs up for one group in a set, the others from that group set (the ones not chosen) will drop out of the list since they are no longer available to join.

View solution in original post

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @dverdonck ​...

I wanted to check in with you.  Did  @RobDitto ​'s reply help answer your question?  Please let us know...thanks!

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Hi  @dverdonck , since we haven't heard back from you in awhile, we're hopeful that one of the answers provided above has helped you manage your group sets. I'll mark  @RobDitto ​'s response with the "Correct Answer" designation. The topic remains open for participation, so if you still need help, please feel free to post a follow-up reply to "bump" the thread.

No it didn't help. But nothing will unless the student view is changed to

be the same as the instructor's view.. The setup for groups sets is

unsatisfactory the in its current form.

@dverdonck , if this ("[groups] student view is changed to be the same as the instructor's view") is functionality you feel Canvas should add, you can search the Canvas Feature Ideas space to see if someone has already requested something similar, and if not, consider submitting a new feature idea of your own. To write a feature idea, follow the instructions in this document: How to write a good feature idea submission​.