cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Learner II

Groups Question

Jump to solution

Students are not able to see the groups I pre-created for each assignment, thus not able to self-sign up and form groups. How can I fix this?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Hi smorgan2@uw.edu​...

snugent​ has given you a great start on what you need to do.  So, for the sake of completeness (and for anyone else who might be interested), this is what you should do:

1. Click on People.
  2. Click on + Group Set.
  3. In the Group Set Name text box, type in the name of the assignment (not the name of the group that the people will be assigned to).  For example, the Group Set name could be: Written Paper.
  4. Check the box for Allow self sign-up.
  5. In the Group Structure area, choose the options you want.  Same goes for the Leadership area.
  6. Click Save.

You will see the number of groups you wanted listed in tab (which is named the same as your Group Set name you chose in step #3).  If you want, you can click on the gear/cog wheel icon to the right of any of the groups within the Group Set to re-name the group to whatever you want.  Example: Team Blue, Team Green, Team Red, etc.

When it comes time to assigning everyone to your assignment, go to where you can edit the properties of the assignment.  In the section of the assignment where it says Group Assignment, check the box for This is a Group Assignment.  You'll get some more options.  You can choose to assign grades individually.  Also, you'll need to select the Group Set that you created in the steps above.  Save your changes.

Hopefully, this should get you on the right track.  Hope this helps!!!

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Highlighted
Lamplighter II

Hi Susan

Couple of questions.

Did you create the group set from the assignment page or from the people page?

What type of assignment is it? assignment or discussion?

I ask these questions because in the past with helping faculty I found it is easy to get confused on how to setup groups. In Canvas you must create a group set first and then the groups. If you only create a group set, then there are no groups in the course to see.

What are Student Groups?

You can direct students to the people page. They can access groups from there.

How do I use the People page as a student?

Highlighted

Hi,

It looks as though the groups were created from the 'people' page and the assignments are group papers. I first have to say, I'm in a support role for faculty, and was asked this question by the faculty member.

Highlighted

Hi smorgan2@uw.edu​...

snugent​ has given you a great start on what you need to do.  So, for the sake of completeness (and for anyone else who might be interested), this is what you should do:

1. Click on People.
  2. Click on + Group Set.
  3. In the Group Set Name text box, type in the name of the assignment (not the name of the group that the people will be assigned to).  For example, the Group Set name could be: Written Paper.
  4. Check the box for Allow self sign-up.
  5. In the Group Structure area, choose the options you want.  Same goes for the Leadership area.
  6. Click Save.

You will see the number of groups you wanted listed in tab (which is named the same as your Group Set name you chose in step #3).  If you want, you can click on the gear/cog wheel icon to the right of any of the groups within the Group Set to re-name the group to whatever you want.  Example: Team Blue, Team Green, Team Red, etc.

When it comes time to assigning everyone to your assignment, go to where you can edit the properties of the assignment.  In the section of the assignment where it says Group Assignment, check the box for This is a Group Assignment.  You'll get some more options.  You can choose to assign grades individually.  Also, you'll need to select the Group Set that you created in the steps above.  Save your changes.

Hopefully, this should get you on the right track.  Hope this helps!!!

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thank you! This is very helpful information and I appreciate you taking the time to describe, step by step, the procedure to create groups sets and groups.

Top Kudoed Authors
Labels