cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
heidi1
Community Member

Groups (people) and Assignments

Jump to solution

I see that I can differentiate by section for all assignment types and I see that I can differentiate a discussion or other assignment by group set.  But nowhere do I see that I can differentiate by a group.  Is it really true that I cannot assign a quiz, assignment, etc. to a student group?  If this is true, how do I explain why this is to my faculty?

Heidi

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@heidi1 , you are correct that Instructors can't differentiate assignments, quizzes, discussions by group, only by section. Canvas is aware of this shortcoming - - and per the most recent update in September they are "beginning to think about how we could best accomplish this task." My recommendation is to comment on why this feature is important and follow it so you are alerted to future updates.

As to how to explain this to faculty, you can let them know that the ability to differentiate is quite new and has only been out since the beginning of summer. Canvas can't anticipate all possible use cases for new features like this, so they did their best to get the tool/feature out and available to faculty with the most needed functions (ability to differentiate availability dates/times for students). That being said, they are aware that there are additional features (like groups) that could add to the usefulness of this tool and are actively looking at how to best implement this feature.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

2 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@heidi1 , you are correct that Instructors can't differentiate assignments, quizzes, discussions by group, only by section. Canvas is aware of this shortcoming - - and per the most recent update in September they are "beginning to think about how we could best accomplish this task." My recommendation is to comment on why this feature is important and follow it so you are alerted to future updates.

As to how to explain this to faculty, you can let them know that the ability to differentiate is quite new and has only been out since the beginning of summer. Canvas can't anticipate all possible use cases for new features like this, so they did their best to get the tool/feature out and available to faculty with the most needed functions (ability to differentiate availability dates/times for students). That being said, they are aware that there are additional features (like groups) that could add to the usefulness of this tool and are actively looking at how to best implement this feature.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

heidi1
Community Member

Thank you, Kona.