cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jack_maydan
Community Member

HOW DO I DOWNLOAD ALL THE FILES UPLOADED TO CANVAS AT ONCE?

Jump to solution

None of my courses have the Files tab available, but I need to be able to download all of the content my professors have posted on the site. 

I'd also like to download all of my submissions.

Is this functionality not standard and obvious? Where do I go to download all of my content at once.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @jack_maydan  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thank you for posting your questions.

None of my courses have the Files tab available, but I need to be able to download all of the content my professors have posted on the site.

The Guide that details how to download an ePub file is located here: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10682-4212716123?sr=search&searchId=c3bfdcd0-a109-42a5-9dd5...  (This option may not be available in your courses...per the information in the blue box.  You'd want to check with your instructor or a local Canvas administrator at your school to see if enabling this is an option if you do not see it.)

The Guide that details how to do this is located here: How do I download assignment submissions from all my courses? 

I hope this information is helpful to you, Jack.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @jack_maydan  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thank you for posting your questions.

The Guide that details how to download an ePub file is located here: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10682-4212716123?sr=search&searchId=c3bfdcd0-a109-42a5-9dd5...  (This option may not be available in your courses...per the information in the blue box.  You'd want to check with your instructor or a local Canvas administrator at your school to see if enabling this is an option if you do not see it.)

The Guide that details how to do this is located here: How do I download assignment submissions from all my courses? 

I hope this information is helpful to you, Jack.

View solution in original post

jack_maydan
Community Member

Hi Chris and Stefanie, thanks for the reply. 

I'm not really sure what this guide is supposed to mean - there is no ePub file in the downloaded content. It's just all the pdfs and files, which is what I wanted, so thank you.

This doesn't actually reach the point I'm asking about - I don't want an ePub mishmash that Canvas tries to create for me, and I don't expect to interact with the course offline....obviously - who actually expected that? Who actually wants this ePub thing you're talking about, it doesn't sound useful. 

I just want a big download all button, one for each course, which puts all the files my professor uploaded and puts them in a folder, one for each module, and all of the things I uploaded as well. That's it. 

There should never be an option, especially one that canvas has configured to default, which restricts the ability for students to download course content. Professors and inaccessible admin people don't understand how this system works, so all of the necessary options should be set up by default in a very easy way. I've tried emailing profs asking them to enable files/downloadable content - they have no idea what I'm talking about. Please consider making this process more clear, every semester students want to download all of the content for future use. It is content we paid tuition to access, and have the right to easily obtain it. 

Hi  @jack_maydan  

I am sorry about your frustrations, but I must point out that Canvas is designed so that your instructors control the files used in their online classrooms. They control which files are available to students, how they are available, where they are available and when they will be available.  After all, they really are your instructor's files, many of them might have copyright protectionss, and many more might contain information  that could be used to provide other/future students an unfair advantage.

All of the files your teachers wish for you to use in your courses are available to you in your Canvas courses 24/7 during the period your instructor has made them available. When a file is available to you in your Canvas classroom, they are typically also available for you to download.  Learn how at How do I download a single file as a student? , and at https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10540-421241998 

Native Canvas content such as pages, discussion, assignments and quizzes are not downloadable, although you can copy/paste the content in those documents.

As for your assignment submissions,  @chofer  has already provided you with a guide for downloading your submissions.

For any other content you think you should be able to download, I would suggest  talking to your instructors.

Finally as far as the ePub and HTML download options, both of these features were developed based on an overwhelming number of requests by Canvas users. So not only did a lot of people expect that, but literally thousands of users are taking advantage of those options.

I hope this is helpful,

Kelley