cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Has anyone been able to successfully connect the Mahara ePortfolio application to Canvas?

Jump to solution

We have been using Mahara for several years with the Moodle LMS, and are trying to use the same Mahara instance with Canvas as we make the transition.  All we keep getting are authentication errors.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello jjmeier@uncc.edu​...

I have not used Mahara, but just a couple notes to help clarify:

1. Are you using the instructions listed here to connect the Mahara LTI with your Canvas instance?  Edu App Center: Mahara
  2. I went to the Mahara website to try and find some contact information for you.  I found a community forum that has a few topics that may be of help:

Hopefully some of this info will be helpful to you, and hopefully other people here in the Community will also be able to chime in.  Good luck, Jeff.

View solution in original post

17 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello jjmeier@uncc.edu​...

I have not used Mahara, but just a couple notes to help clarify:

1. Are you using the instructions listed here to connect the Mahara LTI with your Canvas instance?  Edu App Center: Mahara
  2. I went to the Mahara website to try and find some contact information for you.  I found a community forum that has a few topics that may be of help:

Hopefully some of this info will be helpful to you, and hopefully other people here in the Community will also be able to chime in.  Good luck, Jeff.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

jjmeier@uncc.edu, it's been a while since we last heard from you. Did the response from chofer@morainepark.edu resolve your question about integrating Mahara? For now, I will mark his response as "Correct," but that will not prevent you or others from responding. If you arrived at a different solution, please take a moment to update the thread and let the Community know how you resolved this. Thanks!

Highlighted

Hi Stefanie, Chris,

I can confirm that the response have not succeeded.  I have followed the instructions as per those on Edu App Center: Mahara and also the information in the README file downloaded with the LTI and I'm yet to get the link working.

In the first instance, how do I add it into courses?  All I get is "No placement found" when I try the Apps tab on the course pages?

Can anyone help please?

Regards,

Remy

Highlighted
Community Member

We have been working with our Mahara hosting vendor to enable a Shibboleth connection.  This will allow us to connect to Mahara as a link from our portal page or as an assignment in Canvas.  It has been a struggle, but we at least now have the Shibboleth plug-in enabled in a sandbox site and I am working with the vendor to get the xml and metadata that he needs from our end so that the single sign on piece starts working.  Once we get that done, I think we will be on our way.

The LTI will never work, as it is written to support Mahara through version 1.4, as I understand it.  There has been no further development on this by Mahara.org.  So, we are left with the Plan B.

Highlighted

Thanks Jeff.  I noticed the late version as well during download but Canvas recommended the LTI so I assumed they've checked and made sure it works.  I believe the fact that it doesn't should be updated in Canvas documentation as the impression given is that it works.

If you ever get it working, could you please post on relevant threads in mahara.org about it, and perhaps update this post?  I suspect you'll be saving a lot of us some periods of hair pulling and frustration ... and thank you very much:)

Highlighted

By way of update, apparently the Shibboleth plug in that we had with our version 15.10.1 of Mahara was written in 2009 and therefore very problematic.  We will be upgrading our sandbox site to the latest Mahara version (16.04.3) which supposedly has an updated Shibboleth plug in.  Our hope is that our authentication issues will then disappear.  Just waiting for our hosting vendor to vet this version of Mahara so we can get moving on this.

Highlighted

Hey Jeff,

I'm curious if updating your version of Mahara fixed the integration issue?

Thanks

Scott

Highlighted

Scott:

We are close. After updating to Mahara 17.04 (I think that's the version

supporting the LTI) we discovered that there is a bug in the Mahara LTI,

and we need our Mahara hosting vendor to modify a single line of code in

one of the server files which should correct this issue. They are very

cautious apparently, and have not made the modification yet which is quite

frustrating.

In the mean time, we are using the redirect tool to create a link which

takes users to our Moodle site and from there they can access Mahara via

the Moodle plug in. Not very elegant, but it is a good Plan B for now.

Jeff

On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 5:54 PM, scottd@instructure.com <

Highlighted

Thank you, Jeff.  Interesting to know...

Top Kudoed Authors
Labels