cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
myerdon01
Adventurer

Has anyone tried the "Do not count this assignment towards the final grade" function with Roll Call Attendance?

Jump to solution

Roll Call is a bit clunky for some to set up if they want to set it up as not graded, so I wonder if instructors could still keep the 100 points by default, and just check the Do not count this assignment towards the final grade. It should then show a percentage for attendance, but not count in final grade if I am thinking correctly. I have not tested it, but was curious if anyone has it set up that way and how it was working.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@myerdon01 , that's an interesting thought. I hadn't tried it out, but I played around in my sandbox with some students and yes, it looks like you can use this new feature to let students see their attendance grade, but not have it count towards their actual course grade.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@myerdon01 , that's an interesting thought. I hadn't tried it out, but I played around in my sandbox with some students and yes, it looks like you can use this new feature to let students see their attendance grade, but not have it count towards their actual course grade.

View solution in original post

I am going to try it in my course and see what happens. I am going to leave it set to 100 points, displayed as a % so students will be able to see what % of the class they missed, but not have it count against them in their final grade, because if you change it to ungraded, they don't see it.

I'm looking forward to hearing the results,  @myerdon01 ​. Up until now the only remedy we've been able to suggest is for people who use weighted gradebooks; they can place the Attendance assignment in a group that contributes 0% of the grade. Students will still see it, but it doesn't affect the final grade.

clouviere1
Surveyor II

We have found an issue with keeping the 100 points/percent on the assignment and checking the "do not count towards final grade" box. After using the tool (sometimes with a delay of 10-15 minutes) the checkbox clears and the points are counted. There also appears to be a discrepancy between checking the box under "edit assignment" (assignments list) and the same setting for the Roll Call gear icon "Roll Call Settings." Changing the setting in one place does not appear to immediately update to the other.