Have students take any 1 of 4 quizzes?

Jump to solution
Eric2398732
Community Member

Hi.  I'm wondering if (and how) I can do this for my students. I'm not requesting any new features from Canvas. Instead, I'm looking to see if there's a way to accomplish my goal with the functions that Canvas currently offers.

In my class, for each topic I'd like to let students make a choice. With topic 1, for example, I will let my students choose to learn about one of the four variants of the topic. That is, they will choose either topic 1a, topic 1b, topic 1c, or topic 1d.

My goal is to let students choose a Canvas quiz that reflects their choice. I can create four variants of the quiz (i.e., quiz 1a, quiz 1b, quiz 1c, and quiz 1d).  How could I setup Canvas so that students are required to take one (and only one) of those four quizzes?

As a start, I was thinking that I could put all four quiz variants into one assignment group, and then I could choose "weight final grade based on assignment groups." Maybe I could do some sort of workaround, like the assignment group is worth 10 points and each of the quizzes is worth 10 points. But the grading would get messed up if I can't prevent students from taking more than one of the four quizzes. And I don't know how to prevent them from doing that.

Maybe a whole different approach is needed. I'm in the planning stages, so I'm very open to other solutions.

Any suggestions? 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
Ron_Bowman
Community Champion

@Eric2398732 

Here is a possibility, but I do not think it is 100% what you want.  Put all 4 quizzes in an assignment group (I am assuming that students can see all 4 and they are to pick 1 of the four themselves).  Then for the assignment group(in the settings for that group under edit), select drop the lowest 3 grades (this is the part that I do not think does exactly what you want).

If they take one and no others, then that score will count.  Where you run into problems is if they decide to take all 4 to see if they can get a better grade than what they received on one of the other quizzes.  

View solution in original post