Have they upgraded Canvas to move rubrics from one school canvas to another?

Jump to solution
MatSwanson
Community Member

As an adjunct instructor at multiple schools it would be great to have a way to move our rubrics.  It seems we have to do the same work over and over again (mindlessly creating rubrics for multiple schools again and again) for each school. It would be nice if the online resources we are expected to use were more accommodating...

Does anyone have a shortcut for moving their rubrics from one school to another?

Thanks,
MS

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello @MatSwanson ...

I think I have a couple possible solutions for you.

• First, I'm not sure if you've seen any of the "Canvancements" (Canvas Enhancement) created by @James Jones here in the Canvas Community, but he has one where you can use an Excel spreadsheet to import rubrics fairly quickly.  I use it often, and I cannot even tell you how much time it has saved me when building courses for our instructors.  The one you'd want to look at is: Importing Rubrics from a Spreadsheet.
  • Second... I tested this out in my own sandbox course and another course, and so I would assume that the same process will work with your two different schools.
    1. Build all your rubrics in a course (in one of the school's Canvas environments).
    2. Export the entire course to an *.imscc file.  How do I export a Canvas course?  You'll want to save the *.imscc file to your computer.
    3. Log in to the other course in the other school's Canvas environment.
    4. Import course content from a course export package.  How do I import a Canvas course export package?  As you are choosing the *.imscc file that you saved to your computer earlier, you will want to choose the option to "Select specific content".  How do I select specific content as part of a course import?
    5. Once you are prompted to click on the "Select Content" button, you will be able to see a row and checkbox for "Rubrics".  Click on the arrow next to the "Rubrics" check-box to see all the rubrics from the exported *.imscc file.  You should be able to place a check next to any of the rubrics you want to bring into this course.

I hope either of these options will work for you.  Sing out if you have any other questions about this...thanks!  Take care, stay safe, and be well.

View solution in original post