cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
principal
Surveyor

Have you experienced a sent message disappearing?

Jump to solution

I sent a message to seven students, with the box "Send individual messages sent."  After clicking send, eventually I noticed that the message was not in my Sent box.  I masqueraded as one of the students, and the student hadn't received my message either.  Has anyone else experienced this?  If so, were you able to retrieve the message?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
principal
Surveyor

Part two of my original post -- I was eventually able to send. Here's the story.  I am an Admin, so I can send an email to anyone without choosing a course from the dropdown box.  The first two times I sent this email, I did not choose a course; I just added seven students to the message (to be sent as individual messages) and sent it.  Both times, the messages did not show up in my Sent mail, and as I mentioned, when I checked a student recipient by masquerading, there was no message.   This was even though Canvas said "Message sent successfully!"  

I decided to try something different the third time.  When Canvas changed Conversations and disabled the ability for students to message anyone in the school they wanted, at the suggestion of a Canvas rep, we created a new course called Homeroom and put all students in it.  When I tried this message the third time, I chose the course Homeroom from the dropdown box.  When I added the names, two of the seven students came up with "No results."  Upon investigation, I found that those two students had not been added to Homeroom.  So I added them to Homeroom, and then I was able to send the message.

The third time, the individual messages showed up in my Sent Mail.  But not only that, suddenly my previous two mailings showed up also!  So now all the students got three identical messages from me!

View solution in original post

6 Replies
awilliams
Surveyor

Hey  @principal 

I haven't personally experienced this but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened to you. I would contact Canvas support as soon as you can. It sounds like you have admin rights so hopefully you also have access to Canvas support or the person at your institution who does. Canvas support can access some detailed information for troubleshooting, but that information doesn't last forever. 

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

From previous experience and working with Canvas Support, I'd like to add that masquerading as a student does not always show you exactly what the student sees. One of the places this occurs can be the Inbox. For us the case was that the student could see messages we couldn't when masquerading as the student. We were told by Canvas Support that the only way to see and know for sure what the student is seeing is to create an alternate login for the student and then literally log into Canvas as the student. 

**I'm not saying this is your issue, but I wanted you to be aware of the possibility. 

Well this is interesting to learn.  I would expect that if I'm masquerading as a student, I should be able to see exactly what the student sees.  I have never before experienced not seeing a message that I had sent to a student when masquerading.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

It doesn't happen all the time, but does occasionally happen. 😞

principal
Surveyor

Part two of my original post -- I was eventually able to send. Here's the story.  I am an Admin, so I can send an email to anyone without choosing a course from the dropdown box.  The first two times I sent this email, I did not choose a course; I just added seven students to the message (to be sent as individual messages) and sent it.  Both times, the messages did not show up in my Sent mail, and as I mentioned, when I checked a student recipient by masquerading, there was no message.   This was even though Canvas said "Message sent successfully!"  

I decided to try something different the third time.  When Canvas changed Conversations and disabled the ability for students to message anyone in the school they wanted, at the suggestion of a Canvas rep, we created a new course called Homeroom and put all students in it.  When I tried this message the third time, I chose the course Homeroom from the dropdown box.  When I added the names, two of the seven students came up with "No results."  Upon investigation, I found that those two students had not been added to Homeroom.  So I added them to Homeroom, and then I was able to send the message.

The third time, the individual messages showed up in my Sent Mail.  But not only that, suddenly my previous two mailings showed up also!  So now all the students got three identical messages from me!

View solution in original post

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Ah, interesting! Thank you for digging deeper on your end and sharing your findings!