cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Having issues with Office 365 External Tool in Modules.

Hey all!

My institution recently switched to OneDrive/SharePoint cloud storage for all of our files. With this comes the beauty that is the O365 Canvas Integration. Now that instructors have their files in OneDrive they are able to easily share their course items directly from OneDrive. I have worked with many instructors so far to change over their module files from Canvas files to OneDrive Integration external tool files. It's been awesome! Students/Instructors can view the OneDrive files directly within Canvas. Also, Instructors now realize when they need to change something in a module file they don't have to go through the process of removing the file, updating the file, saving the file, re-uploading the file (and re-adding). They just go over to their OneDrive, make the update and it reflects in Canvas. 

But there's a problem - at least for us. 

When we do course copies for a new term, those external tool items in the modules copy over...but when you click to view the items they do not ever attempt to load. Just a blank, white Canvas page loads. Not good. The work-around per Instructure Support is to re-add the course items. That's not good. 

I've contacted our CSM. She is working to escalate the ticket. I don't think this falls under a feature idea...but rather something that I really hope is attended too before faculty is looking for course copies when Summer term starts...and to a greater degree Fall term. 

Anyone in a similar boat?    

5 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi kevin.wagenmaker@montcalm.edu,

I will admit I don't have a lot of experience with the Office 365 External Tool. However, I wanted to share this with the https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/admins?sr=search&searchId=87762c0b-ccfa-4475-979e-abd0da93966...‌ group and https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/designers?sr=search&searchId=2408df68-f726-4c03-a263-a3082b70...‌ groups to see if anyone in these groups might be able to contribute to this discussion for you!

Hope that helps!

Stuart

Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

I just tried it in our instance and I can confirm that the O365 links no longer work when imported into another course. While I was testing that, I also added some G Suite links (we have both platforms) and the G Suite links did carry over to the new course and are working just fine. Also they open a lot faster than the Word document I was testing with. I guess the real question is should Canvas be the one that fixes this or is it a problem with Microsoft's LTI?

Highlighted

Thanks, Hanes.Matthew.B@muscogee.k12.ga.us!

Instructure Support has looked into it. The ticket was escalated and the response was that it's a known problem; no fix. 

As it is a known Canvas-wide problem I would assume that Canvas would approach Microsoft...or should I?

Highlighted

I would say that it wouldn't hurt to reach out to Microsoft. They have regional reps that work with Education customers so you probably have one assigned to your institution that you could reach out to. 

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

kevin.wagenmaker@montcalm.edu,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

0 Kudos
Top Kudoed Authors
Labels