cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor

Having trouble with embedding code in a canvas

Jump to solution

Hello all. I'm having a bit of trouble with embedding a video in Canvas. I've tried just about everything I can think of. The video I'm trying to embed is from my college's (Houston Community College) library database website, I'll post the link to the video(s) below. I've copied the embed code and placed it into the html editor under a content page and hit save,  without going back to the rich text editor. I've copied the embedded code to the paste media link/code (can't quite remember what it says) in the embed code part of the window and when I do that, nothing shows up in the content page window when I hit OK. I've also copied the direct link from the library database page into the post media section (not the right word sorry, I provided a picture of what I mean below) and it doesn't work there either. On a side note, I can only get the videos to play in Google Chrome and not in Firefox, and I was only able to do that, AFTER I updated Flash Player, which is even more bizarre, because Chrome is supposed to automatically update Flash Player. I hope I have provided enough information for you. Thanks in advance for any help.

http://www.ambrosevideo.com/index.php?option=com_tpc&view=resource&Itemid=230&id=86295 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi hardy.thorson

I see at least part of the problem right off, in your link to the video, it's an "HTTP" location, and Canvas is always run on an HTTPS location. This causes what is known (at least by me) as a "mixed media" issue - trying to display insecure web content (the video) on a secured web page (Canvas).

Depending on the video source, you can sometimes get away with changing the http to https. Sometimes!

Most often this requires permitting your browser to display the mixed content by providing an exception to its security settings. Unfortunately, everyone who tries to view that video will have to also provide a browser-specific exception.  You can learn how for major browsers at How to Add Trusted Sites in IE, Chrome, and Firefox - IT Knowledge Base - IT Knowledgebase | CSULB 

Since this is often more challenging than many of my students can tolerate, I try to avoid insecure media content like the plague!

I hope this helps,

Kelley

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi hardy.thorson

I see at least part of the problem right off, in your link to the video, it's an "HTTP" location, and Canvas is always run on an HTTPS location. This causes what is known (at least by me) as a "mixed media" issue - trying to display insecure web content (the video) on a secured web page (Canvas).

Depending on the video source, you can sometimes get away with changing the http to https. Sometimes!

Most often this requires permitting your browser to display the mixed content by providing an exception to its security settings. Unfortunately, everyone who tries to view that video will have to also provide a browser-specific exception.  You can learn how for major browsers at How to Add Trusted Sites in IE, Chrome, and Firefox - IT Knowledge Base - IT Knowledgebase | CSULB 

Since this is often more challenging than many of my students can tolerate, I try to avoid insecure media content like the plague!

I hope this helps,

Kelley

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, hardy.thorson...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I stumbled upon your question.  I wanted to check in with you because I noticed that we have not heard back from you since you first posted your question to the Community site on June 5, 2018.  Have you had an opportunity to read through kelley.meeusen@cptc.edu's feedback that he gave you later that afternoon?  If so, did it help to answer your question?  Were you able to successfully get the video embedded in your Canvas course page?  If you feel that Kelley's response has helped to answer your question, please feel free to mark his reply as "Correct".  However, if you are still looking for some help from Community members, please let us know by posting a message below so that someone might be able to assist you.  For now, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered", but that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Hardy.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

Highlighted

Hello Chris, thanks for touching base. I believed that yes, Kelley helped solve my problem. So glad my college switched to Canvas, it’s been such an improvement over the previous LMS software we’ve used. I will definitely pass on what you did today to the professors I work with, to let them know what kind of effort the Canvas community goes into helping their clients. Thanks so much, you can mark the question as answered if you so wish. Take care!

- Hardy Thorson