cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sdavick
Community Member

Help Please - Dates on Mastery Paths Disappearing!

Jump to solution

Our class is a self-paced class and our students are moving through the content at their own speed. This means that students are accessing the same assignments at different times over a period of several weeks.

We use Mastery Paths on a daily basis and used it very happily last year without much trouble but we have run into a problem this year.

At the end of each lesson, our students take a "checkpoint" to see if they are ready to move to the next lesson. If they don't pass the checkpoint (a Canvas Quiz) the Mastery Paths assigns them more practice work. 

Last year we would go in and add a date to the assignment after the first student had been given the assignment by Mastery Paths. (The date could not be assigned ahead of time because the "Assign To" box was only created after Mastery Paths assigned the first student.) The date would stay in the "Assign To" box and as new students reached the assignment Mastery Paths would add their name to the "Assign To" box.

This year the due dates keep disappearing! We think it might be happening every time a new student is assigned to the assignment by Mastery Paths. We have to go in and give the assignment a new date every day. This is a huge pain and it is not sustainable in our case (we have to do this for 15-20 assignments every day). If we wait to add the due date after the final student has been assigned by Mastery Paths it may be three or four weeks after the first student completed the assignment. That means the grade from that assignment doesn't show up in the grade book for any of the students until after the final student completes it. This is not a viable option.

The Chief Technology Officer at our institution contacted Canvas about this and was told that this is the way Mastery Paths has always worked. I KNOW this isn't the way it worked for us last year. Has anyone else run into this problem? Is it new for you? 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
thomsks
Community Member

Yup. This is not only a known issue, it's actually 'working as intended' as per a conversation with Canvas via my district's coordinator. How this is 'intended' is slightly beyond me and I've kind of stopped mentioning Mastery Paths during my trainings...

I'm hoping that this is an issue that is fixed in the near future because, as it is, it seems a little half baked.

That said, there's an idea up about it and it might be worth voting up.

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/8543-friendlier-mastery-paths 

View solution in original post

6 Replies
thomsks
Community Member

Sadly this is the way it was all of last semester, too, from what I can tell. That said, I do think that this is foolish and in a non-traditional classroom (which is what Canvas seems to be gong for) it's pretty unmanageable.

I love Mastery Paths, and as a more traditional/blended teacher it works fine for me since most of my students are very close to each other, but even for me it's a hassle. Hassles slow adoption, especially one that like this.

I'd love to see them implement a system where due dates just auto-populate from dates you enter into the first box. It's very frustrating.

smoore
Community Member

Wait, I got here trying to report a bug. Is this a known issue? Because it isn't just a little inconvenient. This is the complete annihilation of Mastery Paths for any school that uses a grade book! What we're finding is that the grades are all disappearing every time a new student reaches a trigger that adds her to that particular stage of the mastery path. Since the due date disappears, it is no longer assigned to a grading period and every student's grade for that assignment/discussion/quiz suddenly disappears from their quarter average. I just started the semester with a series of differentiated modules that students will join at different times based on their readiness and every day I'm dealing with this for so many different assignments. 

thomsks
Community Member

Yup. This is not only a known issue, it's actually 'working as intended' as per a conversation with Canvas via my district's coordinator. How this is 'intended' is slightly beyond me and I've kind of stopped mentioning Mastery Paths during my trainings...

I'm hoping that this is an issue that is fixed in the near future because, as it is, it seems a little half baked.

That said, there's an idea up about it and it might be worth voting up.

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/8543-friendlier-mastery-paths 

View solution in original post

studyvs
Surveyor II

I am glad I happened upon this question, as I thought the disappearing dates was due to something I had done. While it's good to realize that this is a known issue, it is odd that the developers think this is a feature. It certainly is not thought out, because the way it is written in the documentation does not explain that the due dates would not carry over to the students who are assigned to the mastery path.

It should not work this way. First of all, if it's possible to add due dates to the "Mastery Path" in the "Assign To" section of the Assignment, why would this not be carried over to the students who are in that Mastery Path? Also, what sense does it make to have an assignment show up for a student as "Undated Assignments" when the look at the assignments section in Canvas?

My workaround is to use the "Student View" to start the path and enter the next step in the path. Then leave the student view and go to the assignment for that particular path and copy the due dates in the section for the "Assign To" added for the new student (which usually shows "loading"). Not sure that makes sense, but maybe it will help.

It's too bad this cannot be changed to work though.

When my teacher tried the workaround presented - the due dates vanish the next day. So that's a no-go.

Sadly Chad, the due dates will be removed after each student completes the initial assessment. I had to go in regularly and add the dates back in.

I find that Mastery Paths are rather useless in their current state. While it's a "no-go", if you had added mastery paths this is the only way I thought of to add the dates back in. I will not be using mastery Paths again unless it is radically redesigned. I had bigger issues with it, as not all students who took the assessment were automatically assigned. While I did contact support about this issue, it's not something they can track down because I had to add students in Manually.