cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jvincent
Community Member

Help with Admin Report/Google Spreadsheet Integration via API

Hello!

I am currently working on a set of google spreadsheets that will filter the MGP Grade Export admin report (newly implemented - thank you Canvas!).  The purpose of these spreadsheets is to provide grade data to our administration and guidance departments for student monitoring and specific academic auditing requirements in a useful and easy to read way. 

I believe that I can automate part of the process I am attempting to implement via the Canvas API.  I am an advanced spreadsheet user, teach high school computer programming in Java and C, and have experience with javascript and google scripts but have little experience with API integration.  Is it possible to automatically run this report and have the data dumped into a google spreadsheet automatically?

Thank you for any help/advice in advance!

5 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@jvincent , given the technical nature of this question, I'm going to share it with the Canvas Developers​ group. They do more of the backend API things and should hopefully be able to assist with what you are wanting to do.

MattHanes
Navigator

I'm not an expert on this kind of thing but maybe I can help get you started.

The information for running account reports can be found here: Account Reports - Canvas LMS REST API Documentation

You can generate a report using the API and specify the report type which in your case would be mgp_grade_export_csv

Then you can use the "status of report" API call to monitor the progress. When the report is done, that call will return a url to a csv file which can be imported into Google Drive.

jvincent
Community Member

Thank you  @kona ​ for sharing with the developer community!

@MattHanes ​ - Thank you for the reply and the info, it was quite helpful.

I did find some examples from various other posts and was able to connect and access reports via the API.  My problem now is that the MGP Grade Export returns a zip file with the csv inside instead of just a csv.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@jvincent ​,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.

Robbie

Hi  @Robbie_Grant 

Sorry for my absence.  The mgp report had some issues initially (huge number of duplicate entries). This has recently been fixed by Canvas (thanks!)

The current issue is that the report is returned as a zip file containing a csv file and I have not had luck decompressing and accessing the csv via a google script.  Anyone with any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks in advance!

Justin