cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Surveyor

Help with error, "Couldn't find valid settings for this link."

Jump to solution

I am authoring an LTI connector in PHP and I am running into this message when launching the external tool from a module.  I'm just at the "proof of concept" stage - trying to replicate in PHP an activity from Deactivated user​'s InstructureCon LTI workshop, where we used Python.  I made it through the workshop material with no trouble, but now I'm a little stuck.

I did the following:

Wrote "index.php" which prints outputs a simple HTML page w/ the POST variables passed to it.

Added App Config w/ url pointing to index.php, w/ secrets, set to Public, no domain or options.

Added the LTI to a Module as an External Tool.

I can navigate to the page outside Canvas, and I can post to the page.  However, when I click the LTI link in the module, I get the message above.  There is no auth at the moment.  As far as I know, Canvas should just be posting data to the page and displaying resulting HTML in an iframe. 

Any ideas/help are welcome.

Thank you!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Instructure
Instructure

Canvas display's this message when something is wrong with the configuration values. I've seen this when I have spaces in launch url or other minor typos. I've also seen this when I remove and re-add the LTI tool during the development process. Any module links that are created with the configuration will not work when the tool is removed and re-added. You have to re-create the module links.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Instructure
Instructure

Canvas display's this message when something is wrong with the configuration values. I've seen this when I have spaces in launch url or other minor typos. I've also seen this when I remove and re-add the LTI tool during the development process. Any module links that are created with the configuration will not work when the tool is removed and re-added. You have to re-create the module links.

View solution in original post

Thanks, Kevin!  I removed and re-added the app config and the external module link and it works as expected.

Community Member

I am having the same issue using the external tool MyLab and Mastering (Pearson).  MyLab integrates with Canvas, so all of the links that will not work and give the "couldn't find valid settings for this link" were automatically generated by the syncing process.