cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Surveyor

Hide Student Photos

Jump to solution

Is there a way to hide students' photos when using speed grader? I see the option to hide the students' names but that doesn't help much when their pictures are right there next to the text I am grading.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

You are absolutely correct, for discussions Canvas does not remove the profile picture (down in the text) in Speedgrader when you are grading a discussion. And no, you can't hide this. Smiley Sad

My recommendation would be to create a Canvas Feature Ideas​ for this - How do I create a new feature idea?

View solution in original post

9 Replies
snufer
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

I don't know that student photos can be toggled on an off, but it is possible to grade anonymously if that is what you are looking to do.  See: How do I enable anonymous grading for an assignment in SpeedGrader?

snufer
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

(enabling the anonymous grading feature does turn off the picture - it also hides the name)

This is what it looks like when I follow those directions: Untitled.png

I'm grading discussion threads. When I follow your instructions, Canvas removes the name and picture from the upper right-hand corner but the picture remains next to the text.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

You are absolutely correct, for discussions Canvas does not remove the profile picture (down in the text) in Speedgrader when you are grading a discussion. And no, you can't hide this. Smiley Sad

My recommendation would be to create a Canvas Feature Ideas​ for this - How do I create a new feature idea?

View solution in original post

snufer
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Discussions are inherently challenging to grade anonymously.  Many of the posts will have attributions.  Example:

"Hey Jessica, great response!  Have you considered..."

Or

"My post, blah blah lorem ipsum......and then some.

- Mike"

I do have many students sign their names.  Also, I tend to have the actual discussion pulled up on a second monitor when grading because I want to see the actual thread and context. 

"no, you can't hide this" is a bit strong. You just have to determine if this is a page that should be graded anonymously, then wait for the iframe to fully load with the discussion, and then hide all of the avatars. Impossible without some programming, but doable, and probably something that should be done automatically when grading anonymously.

Still, snufercomments about discussions and anonymity help illustrate how difficult of a job it is going to be to completely grade anonymously.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Where are you seeing the picture of the student in Speedgrader? I just changed one of my assignments to hide students names and it not only changed their names to Student 1, Student 2, Student 3, etc... but it also removed their profile picture as well.

HideName.jpg