Hide a Rubric until Assignment is Graded

Jump to solution
ginner_hudson
Community Novice

How do I hide the rubric for an assignment until the students have submitted their work? I have the correct answers in the rubric and do not want them to see it until I finish grading (using the rubric).

1 Solution
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @ginner_hudson ‌ - If you have already created the assignment with the rubric, there is no way to hide it from students.  However, there is absolutely nothing to prevent you from adding the rubric at any point in time.  You can wait until everyone has submitted the assignment, and then head back to the assignment in question and add the rubric then.  That +Rubric button that you see at the bottom of an assignment when you click upon it will always be there.

While I am certainly no expert on rubrics--and please do not interpret this comment as coming from someone who is (I work in a teaching center as the more "tech" person)--I might suggest that if there is a right and a wrong answer, the assignment in question may not even need a rubric and perhaps may best be graded by using comments back to the student or, perhaps, simply conveying a message to the class as a whole somehow.   But this may be a complex assignment, so there could be other factors involved, such an answer that is "more wrong" than others!

Anyway, the bottom line is that you can always add the rubric at any point in time, not just at the time of creation.  If you have already created it, what you may want to do is make sure that it also has been added to your Outcomes menu item (check How do I manage rubrics in a course? ) and then remove it from the Assignment.  You can then add it back in later using "Find a Rubric": https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10209-4152724129 

Hope this helps, Ginner!

View solution in original post