cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
luc_vancauwenbe
Community Member

Hide number grade/percentage in grading?

Jump to solution

Dear,

We have some questions on grading. When selecting the option to provide letter grades to students, on all levels percentages and number grades keep showing up:

- in the gradebook (how can we hide the percentage and number grades in the all columns? Only letter grades should be visible)
220388_Gradebook.JPG

- in the rubric (how can we hide the pts in the ratings?)

220390_Rubric via Outcomes.JPG

Thanks for your feedback!

Kind Regards,

Luc

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

@spowell , you're right, as of now there's not a way to accomplish what you're seeking. The good news is that there is a page elsewhere in the Canvas Community -- within Canvas Studio‌, which houses feature ideas -- which points toward possible future interest in having the Canvas gradebook do what many institutions need:

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/4906-allow-display-as-options-for-final-grade-and-assignment-g... 

View solution in original post

8 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@luc_vancauwenbe ‌, from previous experience (and I just tested it again) there is no way to just have a letter grade show up, at least not on the front end of Canvas. There might be a way to use some custom global javascript to hide the numbers, but that would need to be done on the back end of Canvas.

For rubrics, the only way to hide the points from students is to not use points (so make each criterion worth zero points).

Sorry that these aren't the answers you're looking for, but I hope it helps.

This has been a big frustration for me too. I used instructor-created columns in D2L to get around this, and have just given up in Canvas. But I put up a text field request here... just kind of hoping. 🙂

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/7736-feature-request-text-fields-in-the-gradebook 

RobDitto
Navigator

Please consider adding your vote and comments to a related idea, currently in Product Radar, about the ability to configure how a grade is displayed to students:

While the title of that idea seems narrow (might not apply to a specific assignment), the Product manager for grading mentions a fit between it and a potential project to improve grading schemes generally. I believe that giving instructors a choice of how grades are displayed to students will ultimately promote more use of the gradebook and Speedgrader in Canvas.

Thank you,  @RobDitto ‌ ... I find it so hard to keep track of the feature requests (it's pretty chaotic), but grade schemes, while not exactly the solution I am looking for, would be a step forward anyway. I voted on that; thanks so much for pointing it out.

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@luc_vancauwenbe ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

spowell
Community Member

Please don't consider this question answered. So far as I can see, it is still not possible for any grade in the grade book to display as a letter only. There are still numerical and percentage displays that I can't eliminate regardless of the applied schema. 

@spowell , you're right, as of now there's not a way to accomplish what you're seeking. The good news is that there is a page elsewhere in the Canvas Community -- within Canvas Studio‌, which houses feature ideas -- which points toward possible future interest in having the Canvas gradebook do what many institutions need:

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/4906-allow-display-as-options-for-final-grade-and-assignment-g... 

View solution in original post

Just because you don't like the answer doesn't mean that it isn't the answer.