cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Hide quiz results from students

I want to set up a quiz in Canvas, but not let them see their score or which questions they answered incorrectly when they are done. The reason is that they are doing the quiz individually, and then in teams. It appears that even if I unselect Let Students See Their Quiz Responses the system still shows their score and which questions they got incorrect. Is there a way to hide that information, so they get no feedback at all once they finish the quiz?

Tags (1)
7 Replies
Highlighted
Surveyor

edouglas‌ try muting the assignment in the gradebook until you are ready for them to get feedback.

Highlighted
Community Member

Hi, edouglas‌.

You may find this document by kona@richland.edu useful (it includes emupilz@yahoo.com‌'s suggestion): Quiz Settings to Maximize Security.

Highlighted
Community Member

#hidethequizscores

My workaround unchecking "Let Students See Their Quiz Responses (Incorrect Questions Will Be Marked in Student Feedback)", make all question points worth "0", but obviously still mark the correct answer. 

Students will then be able to confirm that they've taken the quiz, but only I will be able to pull the stats via .csv for each student. The student statistics will tell me the "n correct" or "n incorrect." To award them points, I don't care about the "n incorrect". I use the "Text to Columns" function under the data tab to separate the student names for sorting/posting.

The example below is a 5-question quiz worth 2.5 points (or .5pts each). I use an IF/THEN formula (=IF(S2>=0,S2*0.5,0) in the "score" column to obtain the total points awarded.

289689_csv canvas quiz.JPG

I don't use the Canvas grade book since we have to use our school's grade system to submit grades, but if you want to use the grade book, you can easily import this information back into the Canvas grade book vis-a-vis the csv. file.

Yes, it is a little more cumbersome, but the students ultimately don't get to see the grade until I decide to post the points they were awarded.

Students take this quiz during their large group and points are awarded individually for their class prep after the workshop is over.

Then they get into their small groups and decide together which is the correct answer for a collaborative group quiz total. Having the students see their score was problematic since it immediately had a process of elimination and/or an immediate correct answer response which wouldn't help the collaboration aspect of this assignment.

It also allows me to post all of the points for the unit at once and the students are welcome to meet with me to go over their individual responses.

Highlighted
Surveyor

Have you tried muting the quiz?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Muting doesn't work for me. I tried making the posting policy manual in gradebook, but then when I try to preview the quiz and submit, it still tells me how many points I got on each question (even if I hide correct answers). Anyone have an idea what I'm doing wrong?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

The Preview feature allowed you to preview the test as a professor. If you go into Student View and take the quiz, you should be able to confirm that you cannot see the final grade or the correct answers. 

If you go into your Gradebook, locate the assignment and click on the ellipses next to it. Then click Grade Posting Policy and change it to Manual. This will mute the grade and prevent students from seeing their grade. In addition to that, when you edit the quiz, uncheck the box that says Let Students See Correct Answers. With both of these settings established, students will not be able to see their grade or the correct answers.

Also, the auto-grade feature would not show students their grade for the quiz if there were questions that could not be auto-graded, such as an essay question. 

Highlighted

Great, thanks for explaining all that!

0 Kudos
Top Kudoed Authors
Labels