cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kyle_lehman
Surveyor

Hiding Grades from Students on Quiz

Is it possible that when students take a quiz that they can't see their score right away? I know there is a function to not allow them to see the correct answers but it still always will provide them with their score. I have a colleague working with AP students and he doesn't want them to know their scores right away.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
gunther
Surveyor

Muting a quiz or assignment will prevent the students from seeing any kind of feedback on their submission until it is unmuted:

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12961 

Yes, I know that you can mute the grade but doesn't that still show them

their grade right after they take the quiz? I thought muting the grade only

doesn't show it in the gradebook?

On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 2:21 PM gunther@byui.edu <instructure@jiveon.com>

After playing in a sandbox course: quizzes must be muted either in Gradebook or SpeedGrader before the students take the quiz in order to prevent them from seeing their score. Otherwise, the quiz will be graded automatically and shown to students after their attempt.

To be clear. If you mute the quiz before students take it, they will NOT see their grade or any results to the quiz until you unmute the quiz. 

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@kyle_lehman ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

professorhoke
Surveyor II

For those coming to this discussion via Google: In my version of Canvas, you need to change the "Grade Posting Policy" for the assignment if you want students not to see scores for that assignment (which can be a quiz). My version of canvas does not refer to this as "muting/unmuting." (Actually,  I see now that it does use this wording in messages in Student View, but not in the instructor side of things).

This link has the screenshot of where to find the Grade Posting Policy option for an assignment in the grade book:

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/How-do-I-use-posting-policies-in-a-course/ta-p/9...

Note that the "hiding" option in the grade book does nothing until after the grade has been posted. The hiding option will perhaps unpost the grade for a student, but it does not prevent score display  from occurring for other students later.

Maybe choosing Hide Grades in SpeedGrader works as expected, but I am not sure. I have checked and the Hide Grades option in Speed Grader is not available until after grades are available, so I am skeptical that it will prevent automatic grade posting if that is the policy. It appears to me that Grade Posting Policy needs  to be changed if this is to take effect before students take the quiz.

I wish I had figured all this out this morning before my quiz went live...