cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
abromile
Community Member

How Do I View the Mean/Average Grade for an Assignment as an Instructor?

Jump to solution

I know that as a student you can see the grade distribution graphs (as long as the teacher has not disabled them) in your grade page for the course. But as an instructor, I can't figure out where to see this. The analytics page does not have it; they only have the median. Where can the instructor see the average grades for individual assignments?

3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@abromile , you can access the grade distribution, including the average, for each assignment from the Gradebook. Hover over the heading that appears at the top of the assignment column, and select the arrow dropdown. From there, click on Assignment Details to reveal the display of high-low-average. For more details, please refer to https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10268-415254998?sr=search&searchId=49ab5c6f-1614-4a38-b0a5-...

View solution in original post

Yay, this is the answer I was looking for, since I am using the new beta gradebook. Wish it were as simple as clicking the three dots... Thanks!

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

With the switch to the new gradebook, here is the guide that explains how to currently find this information - https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12875-4152212381 - it's under the "View assignment information heading."

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@abromile , you can access the grade distribution, including the average, for each assignment from the Gradebook. Hover over the heading that appears at the top of the assignment column, and select the arrow dropdown. From there, click on Assignment Details to reveal the display of high-low-average. For more details, please refer to https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10268-415254998?sr=search&searchId=49ab5c6f-1614-4a38-b0a5-...

So there's no way to see them all at once like on the analytics? Disappointing but I'll have to manage. Thanks for your reply.

kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi

There is currently a very similar idea currently on Product Radar that is open for voting at https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/8459-course-analytics-by-assignment-for-all-student-at-once . Check it out, and support it if you think it meets your needs, and add your comments.

While data isn't the answer to everything related to learning, as those in power seem to believe, it is very helpful. As a teacher, that kind of data can be very useful to me as I continue to refine my courses.

Kelley

ahmed_katsha
Surveyor

There is a way to get it, although it is not as easy as the old one. In the grades, changes the view of the gradebook to individual (this can be done through the Gradebook menu far to the left). 

Once you are in the individual view, scroll down to content selection and select the assignment you want to check. Assignment information will appear down toward the end of the page where it will show the average, highest and lowest score. 

Hope this will help. 

Yay, this is the answer I was looking for, since I am using the new beta gradebook. Wish it were as simple as clicking the three dots... Thanks!

Kind of a backward way to find mean, distribution of scores, etc for the entire class. The gradebook doesn't even come close to Blackboard , this has always been a complaint of mine in Canvas which our college just selected this semester, but I have used it in other universities in the past.

meixnerja
Community Member

There is no arrow drop down to select

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@meixnerja , I just checked and this work-around seems to still be working for me. When you say there is no arrow drop down to select, are you referring to trying to select an assignment?

meixnerja
Community Member

I think when they changed gradebook they disable that function. There is a long work around to find the average of an assignment. Hopefully they will make it easier in the future.

Jeffery Andrew Meixner Ph.D., MB (ASCP)CM

Associate Professor of Clinical Laboratory Science

Winston-Salem State University, F.L. Atkins 402

601 South Martin Luther King Jr. Drive

Winston-Salem, NC 27110

Phone (336)750-2515, Fax (336)750-3173