cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dwillmore
Learner II

How Do You Survey

We need to survey students, but we want to force an answer selection for the questions presented prior to submission.   Canvas does not accommodate for this.  Are there workarounds?   

We tried using a quiz, but could not figure a way to score it properly.  This makes sense, a quiz is not a survey.

4 Replies
awolfe
Learner II

Hello @dwillmore ‌,

To my knowledge, there's no way to force a student to answer using a Canvas Quiz/Survey. However Google Forms allows for "required" questions. The only drawback is that if students don't have Google Accounts there's no way to verify that they only make one submission. You could also provide a link and/or embed the Google Form inside of a Page or Assignment by using the embed code in Google Forms. This way, it would still appear within Canvas. (See here for how to do that: Google Groups )

If you decide to make it into an assignment, I would probably set the submission type as "None" since there's no way for Canvas to know if a Google Form was submitted even if you embed it.

While I know it's great to keep things inside of Canvas whenever possible, I hope this workaround helps!

-Alex

Thank you for your suggestion.

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@dwillmore ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

hkli
Community Member

No improvement yet