How can I change my layout table to not flag up the accessibility checker?

JamalKinsella
Community Member

Hello everyone, 

I have a few pages on Canvas that use tables in order to create specific layouts and colours, but I am aware that this can create accessibility issues, including for screen readers. 

My tables have been flagged up by my accessibility checker as not containing headers, and I wish there was a feature to tell Canvas "This is a 'decorative table'" similar to images! 

I'm aware that you can place table role="presentation" into the code in order to improve the experience for screen readers, but placing this code in my text does not cause the accessibility checker issues to disappear. 

Currently, I have 37(!) accessibility issues, all due to tables. An example of my code is this: 

---

<table style="background-color: #757477; padding: 30px; height: 1037px; width: 99.6078%;" role="presentation" border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0">
<tbody>
<tr style="height: 206px;">
<td style="text-align: center; height: 206px; width: 100%;">
<span style="font-family: verdana, geneva;">
</span>
</td>
</tr>
</tbody>
</table>

---

Does anyone know how I can get the accessibility checker to ignore the table, and stop giving me messages like those below?

"Tables should include a caption describing the contents of the table." and "Tables should include a caption describing the contents of the table."

Labels (1)