cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
m_boardman
Community Member

How can I change the permissions for roles?

Jump to solution

I'm planning on running a MOOC in the next few weeks. The marketing team want access to user information e.g. name and Login ID. At the moment it seems only the Teacher role gives them access to the Login ID data. Ideally I don't want them added as a Teacher.

Is there another role I could use? I can't find guidance on permissions with the different roles.

Thanks in advance.

Michelle

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

@m_boardman , ah, thanks for the extra information! For something like this Discussion Facilitator would be a custom role built by the admins on the back side of Canvas Network (MOOC). You would probably want to contact the Instructional Designer from Canvas that's been working with you on the course to help figure this question/problem out.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@m_boardman ‌, from the below guide you should find the link to a PDF that has information about the different roles and how the permissions work for roles. 

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10831?sr=search&searchId=a80cac06-3a1a-4bb4-b42f-ca3ced3c07...

As a side note, I'm pretty sure you'd need to base their role on the teacher role and then you could remove permissions for things they didn't need - so create a new role for these users. 

m_boardman
Community Member

Thanks  @kona , unfortunately I can't access that link and get an 'unauthorised' page in Canvas Community. I guess I need to find out why I'm unauthorised too!

It's not you,  @m_boardman ‌--it's us! :smileyblush: Our entire Guides space is undergoing some restructuring, so in the meantime, please use this guide: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-3062 Sorry about that.

The guide to which  @kona ‌ should be working for you and everyone in short order.

(And if you're interested in knowing what's going on with our Guides, please refer to https://community.canvaslms.com/community/answers/guides/blog/2017/04/18/see-what-s-coming-to-the-ca...‌.)

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Whoops! Didn't even realize I'd linked to that guide! Thanks for the save stefaniesanders!

m_boardman
Community Member

Hi all, thanks for the responses. They guide is useful, but doesn't quite match up with the roles on the MOOC platform.

For example, I can't tell what the role Discussion Facilitator can do / see. On the MOOC I'm about to run I can see the following roles:

* Student

* Teacher

* Discussion Facilitator

* TA

* Researcher

* Course Designer

* Reviewer

* Observer

Thanks in advance.

Michelle

@m_boardman , ah, thanks for the extra information! For something like this Discussion Facilitator would be a custom role built by the admins on the back side of Canvas Network (MOOC). You would probably want to contact the Instructional Designer from Canvas that's been working with you on the course to help figure this question/problem out.

View solution in original post

m_boardman
Community Member

Thanks  @kona ‌ I'll drop the Instructional Designer a line. Michelle