cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cpiotrowski
Not applicable

How can I create a tab?

Simple as that.  I've got to submit a syllabus and my instructor has given us no information at all about creating a tab.  I've checked through Canvas and it looks like I've got to create html language for this.  I have very limited experience with this.  I'm pretty much lost.  Thanks.

3 Replies
lph
Community Champion

Hi

I am not exactly sure what information will be helpful to you but thought this link might at least get you started:

https://community.canvaslms.com/message/135397-revised-code-for-tabbed-pages 

Best of luck. 

James
Community Champion

What does creating a syllabus have to do with tabs?

Canvas announced in 2017 that the enhanceable_content features that lph pointed you to will be deprecated at some point. Part of that is because they're using jQuery-UI for the tabs and Canvas wants to move to a ReactJS-based component they developed called InstUI. Those cannot be used by the end-user, only by developers. Institutions that want tabs are encouraged to use their own system rather than relying on Canvas' enhanceable_content. That has to be done at the account or sub-account level as most of the implementations of tabs require JavaScript or CSS. Without that, Canvas won't let end users put JavaScript into pages and CSS is limited to a whitelist of acceptable values, some of which you may need to do the tabs aren't supported.

There are also concerns about accessibility with tabs. If you put information on tabs, users are less likely to see the information on all of the tabs and they don't print well (only the current tab prints). You also have to be able to support keyboard navigation with the tabs. The W3C's WAI-ARAI Authoring Practices 1.1 gives example code of how to do tabs right for accessibility purposes, but it requires both CSS and JavaScript.

lph
Community Champion

Hi

Ugh. I put the wrong link. I meant to point to the discussion on the deprecating of the tab. Your explanation covers it well. Thank you!