cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
glparker
Adventurer

How can I determine when a course was created, course creation date?

Jump to solution

Hello,

Using either the Canvas UI or the API, how can I lookup the specific timestamp that a particular course was created in Canvas?   I'm trying to trouble shoot our SIS process, and I need to know when a course first was created in Canvas.

Thanks, Glen

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
James
Navigator

Now that  @MSJC-DELTA   shared the logging admin tool, I did a network trace of the call that was made and it turns out that there is an API call to return that information, just one that I had never needed to use and somehow missed.

It's the Course Audit log API and there's only one endpoint there, Query by course.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
kblack
Community Member

Hi  @glparker ‌ - I don't know if this will help or not in this specific case, since you mention the SIS process may be the issue, but have you already tried the Provisioning Report, which is one of the reports available in the GUI end?  One of the fields you can get reported for a term is the CREATED BY SIS date, as shown on the screen capture here:

232024_provisioning report.jpg

I guess one way this may help is if you have a course in mind that you think the SIS missed, it wouldn't appear on this list!  Kind of a backwards way of doing it, but it may help.

James
Navigator

@glparker  

I don't see it in the logical places in the API (the get a single course returns start_at and end_at but not created_at).I have not investigated looking for SIS imports and then seeing if that can be tied back to something.

@kblack  suggested the UI route with the SIS import (the Provisioning report will provide the information for all courses, including those not created through SIS). Unfortunately, neither one of these provides the date when the course was created, just when the course starts and ends.

A third route that you didn't ask about is using Canvas Data. It may be the easiest way to obtain the information as it's contained in the course_dim table as the created_at field.

MSJC-DELTA
Surveyor II

I may be missing the boat on this but in case anyone has this question moving forward, which I actually did: Using the UI, use the Logging feature in the Admin tools. Throw in the canvas course id and scroll to the bottom where you can see the date it was created and who it was created by.

267362_pastedImage_1.png

Nice Trick  @MSJC-DELTA ‌, and thanks for sharing that!

One caveat to keep in mind, is that this technique only displays the activity (including creation) of a Canvas shell designated to be used for a course section, because every new shell is given a new Canvas ID number. Finding the first time a shell for a "course" was created in Canvas would require a bit more sleuthing.

• Determine which user (typically a Teacher) had taught that course in Canvas,
  • Look up that user/teacher,
  • Scroll down their Enrollments listing until you find the oldest iteration of that course, then
  • obtain that specific coursee instance's Canvas Canvas ID number,
  • Use that ID number in the Logging report.

Or, you could simply search your Terms listing to find when that course's specific term was set for course creation. This assumes both integration for course creation, and that the courses are associated with a term.

Still, nice trick!

Kelley

James
Navigator

Nice find,  @MSJC-DELTA . I learned something today, so thank you.

In my limited testing, it looks like it only keeps a year's worth of data around. Either that or it just happened to become available a year ago, but probably just a year's worth of data.

James
Navigator

Now that  @MSJC-DELTA   shared the logging admin tool, I did a network trace of the call that was made and it turns out that there is an API call to return that information, just one that I had never needed to use and somehow missed.

It's the Course Audit log API and there's only one endpoint there, Query by course.

View solution in original post