cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

How can I download a video from Canvas?

Hello. I would like to share (by downloading or sharing in some capacity) a video that was uploaded to Canvas (not by me but a previous instructor whose course I have taught), but I am not sure how to download or share the video. The video was used in a class that I taught previously and I can watch the video in the course materials (even though the course is not active), but I cannot figure out how to download or share the embedded video from this particular course. Is this possible? Perhaps, the uploaded video can be found somewhere within Canvas' files or system? Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,

David Trimbach

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Surveyor

Hi trimbacd@oregonstate.edu,

Do you know specifically what type of video it is? Is it just a media comment that was created and embedded using the media recorder within the rich content editor? Does it look like the below image?

311473_pastedImage_1.png

If so, I don't believe these types of videos can be directly downloaded. However, you could use screen capture software like Screencast-O-Matic to play the video and capture it indirectly.

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi there, trimbacd@oregonstate.edu Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thanks for posting your question.  In addition to the information that ataylor30@cvtc.edu has provided, you could try using these directions that I wrote in a blog a while back: Downloading Your Uploaded Media‌.  I'm not sure if it will work for your situation, but it might be worth a try.  Good luck!

0 Kudos
Top Kudoed Authors
Labels