cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

How can I expand all event info for each day in the monthly calendar

Is it possible to expand all event info for each day in a monthly calendar?

3 Replies
Highlighted
Navigator

I'm not sure that I understand the question.

• Are you asking about an event that goes on for an entire month?
  • Are you asking how to show the details for every event on the calendar at the same time?
  • Are you asking something else completely?

I think the second one is probably closest to what you're asking, but I really can't tell for sure, so I'll try to answer each as best I can.

Multi-day events

Option 1

One way to do that is to create an event and click More Options. Fill out the information.

At the bottom is a Repeat checkbox

237278_pastedImage_3.png

When you click that you get options.

237279_pastedImage_4.png

If you want it to show up every day for 31 days, you would tell it to repeat every 1 day for 30 additional occurrences.

The Count checkbox is whether it should append a number to the end of each one or leave them with the same name.

Here's what my calendar looks like after adding 6 additional events (I didn't want to have to delete 30 of them).

237280_pastedImage_5.png

This creates a separate event for each day, but you can go in to the weekends and delete them individually if that's what you want to do.

For example, our school is closed Fri - Sun this summer, so I removed them one at a time.

237314_pastedImage_6.png

Option 2

Another way to accomplish this is to create an event for just the first date. Do NOT put in a From and To time.

237315_pastedImage_3.png

Now put your mouse cursor over the right edge of the event and it will change to a double arrow.

237316_pastedImage_4.png

You can then drag that event to cover up the dates you need.

237317_pastedImage_5.png

Click the left mouse button when you're done and it will look like this:

237318_pastedImage_6.png

If you generate the event this way, it is a single event, not multiple ones. That means that if you click anywhere to edit it, you get the entire date range, not just the event for that date.

237319_pastedImage_7.png

And if you Delete it, you're going to delete the entire thing (since it is just one event). This means that you cannot get rid of specific dates when you use this technique.

237320_pastedImage_8.png

Note that once you've placed the event onto the calendar, you can drag it around, but it keeps the same length, there is not a way to change the length after that initial drag.

Also note that if you put times on the event, like 9 to 5, then you will not be able to drag it

237321_pastedImage_9.png

237322_pastedImage_10.png

If you need times to go with the dates, you'll need to use option 1.

Show Details for All Events for an Entire Month

Are you saying that you want to be able to show the details for an event from the monthly view of the calendar?

237323_pastedImage_13.png

Except instead of showing just that one event, you want to see all of them on the screen at one time?

If that's the question, the answer is that you can't. It would be too much information to fit onto the screen. As it is, my summer calendar is so busy that I couldn't even fit the last week of June classes on there.

And that's not just in the monthly view, it's the same way for the weekly view and Agenda view. You can't see all of the details at once, you'll need to click on each one individually to get them.

The information for each event is stored in a popover window, but there's only one of them. That means that when you click another event, the information from that even replaces the information from the event that was showing. You can only have one active event at a time, there is no to get them all up at the same time.

When I say there is "no way", what I mean is that there is no simple way and even then you would have to deal with sending a click event to trigger loading the popover, waiting for it to load, then cloning popover to another element that you then add to the DOM, worrying about z-index because the boxes are going to overlay each other in a way that you won't be able to read the information that's underneath them. Basically, it would be useless. And by useless, I mean having no use other than if you're trying to illustrate what a browser looks like when your computer is infected with malware and popups are taking over the entire screen so fast you can't shut them down.

If you really need information on all of the events for a month -- let's say you're making a publication and don't want to re-enter the information, then the best you can hope for through the web interface is to click on each one and copy/paste the content. If you have some programming skills, or know someone who does who owes you a really big favor, then you can pull that information out of Canvas using the REST API.

Something else completely

You'll have to provide more information about what you're asking about.

Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

Thanks for providing cwkaufma@iupui.edu‌ with such a comprehensive explanation, james@richland.edu‌! I'll only add that repeating events is a feature that might not be available to every user in every account. As described in What feature options are currently available for an entire Canvas account? , the feature must be enabled by a CSM at the account level before it can be enabled at the course level by an instructor. So Cathie, you might not see the "repeat checkbox" to which James refers, and if you don't see "Recurring Calendar Events" in the Feature Options tab of your course settings, please contact your local Canvas admin for guidance.

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, cwkaufma@iupui.edu ...

I noticed that we have not heard from you since you first posted your question here in the Canvas Community on May 31st, and so I wanted to check in with you.  Have you had a chance to review both responses you've received from james@richland.edu‌ and stefaniesanders‌?  If so, did either of those responses help to answer your question?  Or, are you still looking for some help with your initial question?  If you feel that one of the above responses has helped to answer your question, please feel free to mark it as "Correct".  However, if you still have any outstanding questions as it relates to your initial question, please let us know by posting a message below.  Since we've not heard from you in quite some time, and since there hasn't been any new activity in this thread since early June, I'm going to go ahead an mark your question as "Assumed Answered", but that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions/comments related to this thread below.  I hope that's okay with you, Cathie.  Looking forward to hearing from you soon!

Top Kudoed Authors
Labels