cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor

How can I give the same assignment to multiple classes?

Suppose I want to give the exact same assignment to multiple classes (not multiple sections of the same class, multiple different classes: e.g., I might want to give the assignment 'Icebreakers' to Calculous and Algebra 1).  How can I do that?

Thank you for your help.

4 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

Hi schott.alex@iowacityschools.org,

There might be a new way to do this, but up to now this has been the method:

Create the assignment in one of those courses, then you can go to the other course, click "settings", then click "import content into this course" (At the right or bottom depending on the size of your screen).   On that page, click the first select (drop-down) and select "copy a canvas course".   A new select will appear and populate with all of your other courses.   Select the course in which you created the assignment and (IMPORTANT) click "Select Specific Content".  The click the blue Import button.   You will see your copy job move into the "Current Jobs" list with a blue button on the right to select content.  When you click that button you will see a list of all of your content in the other course, collected by type.   Open the assignments list and click the one you want copied.

After the import is complete, don't forget to go back to the original course, look at your assignments list and move the imported assignment into the correct assignment group.

We are still hoping for a faster, more direct way to copy and manage content in the future.

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi schott.alex@iowacityschools.org, I thought that I would add that another way of using one assignments in multiple classes is by uploading it to the Canvas Commons.  Selectively copying content from one class to another as don.bryn@donbryn.com describes is definitely an option and the best way I know if Commons is not available for you, but there are a few situations in which the Commons could be a good choice. 

First, while you need to fill out some information in order to upload content to the Commons, you can then select multiple courses at a time to download the content to.  So if you have a small number of courses, copying the course as Don described is probably easier but if you have many courses you want the content copied to (or envision needing to the the same thing term after term), it may take less time to load it to the Commons.  Second, if there are any other instructors who may want to use the assignment as well, uploading it to the Commons will provide a way for them to download the content too.  One consideration is that the Commons allows content to be shared publicly with everyone or to those at your institution.   Here are a few links to information on Commons in case you would like to investigate further.

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-11178-38287725286?sr=search&searchId=5abc7020-68e0-40fe-ba0...

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-11221-38287725303?sr=search&searchId=7b88cb54-8fe6-4913-a97...

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-11177-38287725291?sr=search&searchId=5abc7020-68e0-40fe-ba0...

Best wishes!

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, schott.alex@iowacityschools.org...

As I was reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, I stumbled upon your question.  I wanted to check in with you because I noticed that we have not heard back from you since you first posted this question on November 20, 2017.  Have you had an opportunity to review the feedback that you've received from both don.bryn@donbryn.com and ericwerth?  I would agree that both of their suggestions are great ways to make a copy of your assignment in one class to import it into another.  Since both of these suggestions are possible ways to accomplish pretty much the same thing, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered".  However, this won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Alex.  Please let us know if you are still looking for some assistance with this.  Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Highlighted

Unfortunately, both of those suggestions aren't exactly solving the problem. There is no simple way of pushing one assignment to multiple courses without making it public on Commons??

0 Kudos
Top Kudoed Authors
Labels