cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Surveyor II

How can I make a table with drop-downs in Quizzes LTI?

I really liked the table function with drop downs and would to do that within the new format. Does anyone have a suggestion for this?

Here is an example from a previous test....

265948_biomol table.JPG

7 Replies
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi rebecca.haukaas@kent.k12.wa.us.  I am in the beta test group for Quizzes LTI as well.  I have a quick question.  What type of question did you use to create the table above?  Looking at this chart, Quizzes LTI Feature Comparison, it doesn't appear as though there are any question types present in the old system without an equivalent in Quizzes LTI. You may have already seen the documents in the Quizzes LTI user group homepage, but there are documents on each of the question types.

I hope this helps, but I look forward to hearing about the table question above!

Hi Eric - I used a multiple dropdowns question and added a table. It is really an awesome feature and I was disappointed when I couldn't figure it out on the LTI version. There isn't an option for adding tables and when I pasted one in there the formatting was off and wouldn't function. Really hoping that they bring back that possibility.

Ah, I see Rebecca.  Very cool . . . I'm going to use a question like this on my next quiz!

Looking in to it a bit more, the multiple drop down question type in the old system is supposed to be handled by fill-in-the-blank in Quizzes LTI.  I found in Quizzes LTI where tables can be inserted into the question stem but the way question blanks are created in the old and new systems appears to be different.  In the old system you create the blanks within the rich content editor which, I believe, is how you created them as items within the table, while in Quizzes LTI the fill-in-the-blank options are created outside of the RCE.  So while you can insert a table into the stem of a question in Quizzes LTI, you cannot make the blanks a part of the table.  Please let me know if this doesn't sound like what you are experiencing!

This would be good feedback to add to Quizzes LTI Feature Comparison, as your use of multiple drop downs is this way is not compatible with the fill-in-the-blank of Quizzes LTI!

Yup - that is exactly how I created it. I really use them quite a bit and am disappointed that there isn't the rich content editor available for this in the LTI fill-in-the-blank.

I was thinking about adding that into the Feature Comparison thread but wanted to be sure that there wasn't a workaround. Looks like that is my next step as well as adding it to the ideas to be voted on.

I would definitely mention this use in the Feature Comparison.  You might explore the Categorization question type in Quizzes LTI to see if this could be a suitable substitute until something better comes along.  You would lose the ability to have the top row of the table a dropdown menu and some cells already determined for students, but you could write the category headings and then have students determine which of these categories particular "choices" belong with.

Please let everyone know if you find a better work-around!

Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, rebecca.haukaas@kent.k12.wa.us...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I stumbled upon your question.  I wanted to check in with you because there hasn't been any new activity in this topic since January 25, 2018.  It looks like ericwerth has been helping you find a solution within the new Quizzes LTI, but one might not completely exist at this time.  Were you able to submit this as a brand new Feature Idea?  Have you been able to find a different solution since January?  Also, is there a response above that you feel could be marked as "Correct"?  Or, if you are still looking for some help with this, please let us know that as well.  I'm going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered"...mainly because there hasn't been any new activity in this topic for almost four months.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you.

Also, I wanted to let you know that I am going to share your question with the https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/quizzes here in the Canvas Community in hopes that your question will get some additional exposure here in the Community.  If you are not following this group, you can use the link that I've provided to click on the "Follow" button at the top right corner of the screen.  Also, in that same area you may need to click on the "Actions" menu and then choose "Join group".

Looking forward to hearing back from you soon, Rebecca.

Adventurer

This is a great way to create fill in the table questions.  Have you run into where the table fits in the editor but in preview or real view the tables spill out to the right.