cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aheath2
Community Member

How can I organize my "to do" list? And what do the numbers in blue circles mean?

Jump to solution

I would like to be able to grade assignments in the order they have been submitted.

This is difficult because the "To Do" list has everything in a seemingly random order.

Also, there are numbers in blue circles before each "to do" item.  What do they mean?

Thank you.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@aheath2 ​, the short answer is, "there is no order, except that all items needing grading come first, all items needing submitting come second, and all items needing reviewing come last and within each of those, they are grouped by course." For the full explanation and quite a bit of discussion on this I recommend reviewing the following discussion - Re: How is the To-Do List sorted?

The numbers in the blue circles are the number of things that needed graded for each item on your to-do list.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

5 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@aheath2 ​, the short answer is, "there is no order, except that all items needing grading come first, all items needing submitting come second, and all items needing reviewing come last and within each of those, they are grouped by course." For the full explanation and quite a bit of discussion on this I recommend reviewing the following discussion - Re: How is the To-Do List sorted?

The numbers in the blue circles are the number of things that needed graded for each item on your to-do list.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

aheath2
Community Member

Thank you for the answer.

I am teaching a course with a rolling enrollment; that is, students may begin and finish at any time.  This means there are no due dates.  I would like to grade all the assignments in the order received, but there is no way to determine this without going in and looking at *every single one* to see when it was submitted.    This is a big time-waster, and aggravating to boot. .

Is there *any* way to make this easier?   Can the programmers of Canvas be persuaded to make a modification?

Thank you.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Unfortunately this isn't really something Canvas is designed (on the front end) to do. For me, I just follow along with my To Do list, but I have regular due dates and no rolling enrollment. One thing that would be kind of crazy (in your inbox), but would work, is if you made it so you were notified every time a student submitted an assignment - How do I set my Notification Preferences? That way you would know the order in which the students submitted which assignments.

As for the programmers making a modification, you would need to create a Canvas Feature Idea​ for this - How do I create a new feature idea?

jodi_petersime
Surveyor

When a student re-submits an assignment for grading OR replies to a comment I made on their work, neither show up on my To-Do List.  Is there a way to change the settings to put it back on the to-do list? 

You can't change the To-Do list settings, but what you can do is make sure you have the notification settings for "Submission Comment" set to ASAP - that way if a student replies to a comment you made or their work you'll get an email immediately letting you know.