cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor II

How can I prevent teachers editing the course homepage?

Hi, I was trying to find a way to prevent teachers from editing a courses home page. I cant seem to find any option in permissions to turn this off.

5 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi greg.dabelstein@brisbanegrammar.com

This can be accomplished using the new BluePrint Courses feature. You can learn more at https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/higher-ed/blog/2017/08/05/designing-maintaining-and-perhaps-r... 

I hope this helps,

Kelley

Highlighted
Navigator

greg.dabelstein@brisbanegrammar.com,

The blueprint courses that Kelley mentioned are one path that might work, but they come with some overhead. The following is probably not what you're after, but I thought I'd mention it just in case it was. 

The Canvas Course Role Permissions document lists the permissions that are available for the roles.

On page 9, there is "Manage (add / edit / delete ) pages"

Allows user to view, create, edit, delete, and publish/unpublish pages.

Allows user to view page history and set front page.

On page 12, there is "Manage all other course content"

Allows user to view Course Status, Choose Home Page, and Course Setup Checklist buttons in the Home page.

The first one keeps them from editing any pages, not just the front page. If you have instructional designers and don't want the teachers to change things, then this might be an option.

The second one would keep them from changing what is shown as the front page from a content page to modules, but it also includes a whole bunch of other things that might be desirable like using attendance, chat, collaborations, etc.

Having a clear policy as to why things are the way they are and then communicating that with the instructor is usually the best approach. Normally, if you can explain why it's important that things be left alone, faculty will. If you just say "don't change this" without the explanation, they may -- just to spite you.

Highlighted
Explorer II

We've accomplished this by adding this to our custom JavaScript:

if (/^\/courses\/\d+$/.test(window.location.pathname) && ENV.current_user_roles.indexOf('admin') == -1) {
   $('#wiki_page_show').find('.btn.edit-wiki').hide();
}

I betcha james@richland.edu‌ can suggest improvements!

Highlighted

dgrobani, I decline that challenge; I've still got to get ready for classes that start on Monday.

I wasn't sure what the original poster wanted to do from the question:

Remove the "Choose Home Page" button from the main course page;

247037_pastedImage_1.png

remove the "Use as Front Page" from the cog on the list of Pages;

247038_pastedImage_2.png

remove the "Use as Front Page" from the cog at the top of any individual page;

247039_pastedImage_3.png

remove the "Edit" link from the cog on the list of Pages;

247041_pastedImage_5.png

remove the "Edit" button from any page;

247040_pastedImage_4.png

remove the "Edit" button on the Front Page when pages are selected as the Home Page;

247042_pastedImage_6.png

the API call that allows you to change which page you want to use as your front page (Update/create page);

the API call that would allow the instructor to make the change the default view for the course (Update a course) -- the parameter is course[default_view], even though it's not documented here;

or the API call that would allow you to change the contents of any page, including the front page (Update/create page).

Whew, what a list! I apologize ahead of time if I missed one.

By the way, those API calls are available even if you remove / hide the button through JavaScript -- unless you modify the permissions for the role.

Some of those, like changes to the Pages list, would require putting in a mutation observer (or the evil setInterval) to make sure it's loaded first.

That's why I thinking hiding stuff is generally an attempt to make it harder to do rather than a total removal and why I recommend educating people as to why you're doing something and why it's important they don't mess with it.

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, greg.dabelstein@brisbanegrammar.com...

I noticed that we have not heard from you since you first posted this question here in the Canvas Community website on August 14th.  So, I wanted to check in with you.  Have you had an opportunity to review the feedback that you've gotten from kelley.meeusen@cptc.edu‌, dgrobani‌, james@richland.edu‌?  If so, did any of those responses help to answer your question?  Or, are you still looking for some help with your initial question?  If you feel that one of the above responses has answered your question, please go ahead and mark it as "Correct".  Otherwise, please post a message below letting us know how we can be of help.  For now, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because we've not heard back from you and because there hasn't been any new activity in this thread for over a month.  I hope that's alright with you, Greg.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon!