How can I recover text entry information that was lost because my login timed out?

Jump to solution
aaronaposhian
Community Novice

I was writing a text entry for a school assignment. I left for a while, came back, and completed my text entry. However, after I clicked submit, I was told that my login had timed out and so my entry could not be submitted. Then my entire entry was gone, to no fault of myself, and without warning. Is there anything I can do to recover the information that was lost? This is a problem that needs to be fixed. I am beyond frustrated. 

2 Solutions
stuart_ryan
Community Novice

Hi  @aaronaposhian ,

I apologise, but unfortunately there would not be any way to recover your work, as it is not sent to the Canvas servers until the submit button is pressed. An idea for a https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/3419-session-log-out-warning has received support and is on the Canvas Product Radar, so this is something that there is definitely community support for, along with you. You can add your vote on the idea also which is always helpful. 

The only thing I could suggest is for any text-based assignments in future, that you use an external text editor, or even Microsoft Word/Apple Pages and then paste your completed assignment in. This will ensure you always have a backup copy in case anything goes wrong.

Again, I am sorry to hear about your experiences, and I hope this helps in the future.

Stuart

View solution in original post

merepottinger
Community Novice

This happened to me just a few minutes ago. I thought I was done for and wanted to cry, but if your left click on the back arrow in your browser window up in the top left corner, you can select the version right before the one that asked you to Log in and your page with the page with your text input should show up. It might not work and maybe the prayer I said to Lord God was what saved me, but give it a try. If you end up getting access to your work, just select and copy it just in case you lose it again somehow. I hope I'm saving someone's life here. 

View solution in original post