How can I update the Text entry "instructions"?

Jump to solution
mack
Community Novice

For a written assessment, our students will need to use the text entry box in a Canvas Assignment (online text entry only). The text entry box pops up with the message "Copy and paste or type your submission right here" (see screenshot attached). Our students must type their answers and are not allowed to copy and paste (for many different reasons that I won't go into here). I cannot find a way to edit that line so that it does not include the phrase "Copy and paste" - does anyone have any tips on how I might do it?

1 Solution
rmurchshafer
Community Champion

Hi Sara,

There really isn't a way to change that text.  I have seen some tricks using Global Javascript or CSS to modify or hide specific text strings, but that would need to be done system wide; not just within a single course or assignment. My advice is to simply make sure in the written instructions for the Assignment to spell out the expectations that they must type their answer and not copy/paste if that is requirement.  Canvas has that option I believe because depending on the length of an answer it's often easier to type it in another application first and then paste it.  Not that it happens very often, but if someone is writing into a text entry box and they lose their internet connection before clicking Submit, they could lose all their work.  

Rick

View solution in original post