cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maypumphreymary
Community Member

How can a late-adding student be allowed to view the recorded Conference of my orientation session?

Jump to solution

I have two related issues concerning my use of a Canvas Conference for my online orientation session. Both involve the recording I made of the Conference under the assumption that ALL students would somehow be able to view it later. Here are the issues:

1. Students who add the course after the orientation occurred. The orientation was Monday evening, 09/25. The deadline for adding the class is still 1.5 weeks away! I don't see any way in which I can give access to the recording to those late-adding students, who badly need to see it.

2. I invited all of the students to the Conference Sunday evening, 09/24. For reasons I do not understand, my college added some more students Monday morning. One of these had registered for the course a month earlier, so it makes no sense to me that so many students were in the course as of Sunday evening even though (at least) one who should have been there was not. Regardless, I now have a situation in which not all of the early-registered students in my course can view the recording either!

To summarize! Two categories of my students cannot view my recorded Conference that served as my course orientation session. Is there some way to invite students to a recorded Conference after it has been held? (If not, there really should be!)

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ffdixon
Explorer II

Hi Maryann (and thanks Chris for including me!),

I am the product manager for BigBlueButton.  I work at Blindside Networks (the company that started the BigBlueButton project), and, while I can't speak for Instructure, I can answer your question.

The short answer is that once a conference is created, the invite list for that conference is set and not changeable. 

Extending the features of invite list to make it changeable is definitely worthy of a making a feature request.

The slightly longer answer is invite list is a great mechanism to control who has access to a conference, but this control  had pros and cons.  For example, one pro is suppose you want to hold a tutoring session with a student and not have that session visible to other students.  Easy -- just create a conference and only invite that student.  No other student in the course (now or in the future) will see that conference or its recording.

The con, however, is that as the invite list currently isn't modifiable after the conference is created, you encounter situations such as (1) and (2).  

I did a quick search of the current list of feature requests at Canvas Studio and didn't find anything related to extending the features of invite list to make it changeable.

Maryann, I encourage you to repost this as a Feature Request (I thought you did a good job of explaining the use cases, so you could just cut-and-paste it).  I'll also raise this request with Canvas product management.    We'd like to see this feature implemented too!

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Devleoper

View solution in original post

6 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @maypumphreymary ...

I am sorry to see that your question has been sitting out here in the Canvas Community unanswered for over two months.  While I don't really have an answer for you myself, since you've referred to Conferences in a Canvas course, I'm going to tag  @ffdixon ‌ in this message...as he may be able to help you further with this question.  Good luck to you, Maryann!

ffdixon
Explorer II

Hi Maryann (and thanks Chris for including me!),

I am the product manager for BigBlueButton.  I work at Blindside Networks (the company that started the BigBlueButton project), and, while I can't speak for Instructure, I can answer your question.

The short answer is that once a conference is created, the invite list for that conference is set and not changeable. 

Extending the features of invite list to make it changeable is definitely worthy of a making a feature request.

The slightly longer answer is invite list is a great mechanism to control who has access to a conference, but this control  had pros and cons.  For example, one pro is suppose you want to hold a tutoring session with a student and not have that session visible to other students.  Easy -- just create a conference and only invite that student.  No other student in the course (now or in the future) will see that conference or its recording.

The con, however, is that as the invite list currently isn't modifiable after the conference is created, you encounter situations such as (1) and (2).  

I did a quick search of the current list of feature requests at Canvas Studio and didn't find anything related to extending the features of invite list to make it changeable.

Maryann, I encourage you to repost this as a Feature Request (I thought you did a good job of explaining the use cases, so you could just cut-and-paste it).  I'll also raise this request with Canvas product management.    We'd like to see this feature implemented too!

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Devleoper

View solution in original post

laura_r_hamrick
Community Member

@maypumphreymary ‌, did you end up submitting this as a feature request,? If not, I will go ahead and submit it. We just had a faculty member record two conference sessions, but she didn't invite all of the students in her class initially because she didn't want to bother them with the notification email and she assumed they would still be able to see the videos later. From this thread, it looks like those recordings can't be shared with the students at all.

@ffdixon , is there an option for users to be able to export the conference recording as a video file so that it could be shared outside of Canvas with the users who were not initially invited to those recordings? In this instance, the faculty member was using conferences to record her entire lecture so that students could rewatch it later, so that is problematic if those recordings are essentially lost now. Either way, there should really be some clearer language at the beginning of the process of starting a conference to make it clear to faculty that they cannot change who can see the video after the fact. 

Thanks!

Hi Laura! No, I'm afraid I did not file a feature request about this. In my opinion, the fact that it isn't made clear to faculty that they won't be able to add students later OR export the video is a BUG report that needs to be filed--it's a horrible user experience!

I'm going to have to come up with something different the next time I need to do an orientation for an online class--Canvas Conference doesn't work at all for this purpose. One thing I've contemplated is using my own screen recording app to record the Canvas Conference as it appears on my screen, then sending it off to 3C Media to be close-captioned, and finally, adding a link from my Canvas site to the video. An added advantage of this workaround is that the video would be available semi-permanently. My college's plan with Canvas means that the Conference videos are only available for two weeks after they're recorded....

--mam-p

Hi Laura

You had written

> Fred Dixon, is there an option for users to be able to export the conference recording as a video file so that it could be shared outside of Canvas with the users who were not initially invited to those recordings?

and Maryann May-Pumphrey had written

> My college's plan with Canvas means that the Conference videos are only available for two weeks after they're recorded....

[ Hi Maryann, I remember working with you before when you were getting screen sharing going on your MacBook Air. ]

Both of the above quotes are related.  By default, the conference recordings are only available for 14 days.  For many cases, this is fine, but if are going to record content for students to review, you do want the recordings to be permanent.

You can have permanent recordings if your school upgrades to the Premium Tier hosting for Canvas Conferences (have your school reach out to your Canvas Rep as they can help you upgrade).

The upgrade would solve both the above issues: (1) recordings would be permanent, so they are available to students throughout the term, and (2) recordings are video files and shareable withing the course.

In other words, with (2), you can take the link to a recording and add it to a page in Canvas.  That way, students who are joining late can view the recording even if they were not invited into the original conferences.

Regards,... Fred

--

BigBlueButton Developer

millersd
Community Member

Here is a link to the feature request: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/12251-adding-students-to-a-concluded-conference.  Let the voting continue 🙂