How can a student see a previous submission - with teacher feedback - of an assignment?

Jump to solution
ChrisOdom
Community Member

As teachers, we can view each of our students' submissions (past and present) with our annotations and feedback.  However, it appears to me that students are only allowed to see their most recent submission.  That is, they seem to be unable to see their past submissions.  Is that true?  If not, please let me know how students can locate their previous submissions -- complete with teacher feedback. 

If students are, in fact, unable to see their past submissions, please enable this feature!  It is painful to give lots of feedback on an assignment, inform the student they forgot X, Y, or Z, and give them the chance to resubmit the assignment, only to discover that the original comments can no longer be seen by the student.  

In that situation, when my students come to me to ask to see my feedback on the original submission, I have to go into SpeedGrader, find their assignment, open their past submissions, take screenshots of my feedback, and then email the screenshots to them.  Sheesh!  There has got to be a better way.  If teachers can see past submissions, why can't students?

0 Likes
1 Solution
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi! Yes, I believe this is true for students who access their content/submissions through a browser. However, with the Canvas Student app, all submissions are accessible. I teach at a school with 1:1 iPads, so I am used to having this capability, and I sometimes forget that it's not as common for other instructors.

You may be interested in participating in this conversation I found about Assignment Submission History. I believe it's related to the Student Assignment Enhancements that are being developed.

Assignment Submission History 

View solution in original post