cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jwhite
Community Member

How can group members email the group rather than selecting one email at a time?

Jump to solution

Hi,

I'm a Canvas admin.  A student group brought it to my attention that they cannot email their group in one fell swoop; instead, the sender has to select each individual name and add it to the To line in the email.

Admins can simply select "Group 4" and compose an email that goes to everyone.  Admins don't have to select recipients one by one.

Is this true?

Thanks for any guidance.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

For Student Permissions (Admin --> Permissions) do you have the "Send messages to the entire class" enabled or disabled? Not sure if that would also have to do with emailing an entire group, but that would be my best guess.

Update: I just tested what I suggested above and when I flipped the "Send messages to the entire class" to enabled I was able to log in as a student and message all students in a group (see image below). Yet, if you don't want students to have this permission, we actually don't allow students this permission, then you can remind students that they can select more than one student at a time from the drop-down list by holding down the Ctrl key and then clicking on the name of each student. Let me know if this helps!

MessageAll.png

View solution in original post

3 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

For Student Permissions (Admin --> Permissions) do you have the "Send messages to the entire class" enabled or disabled? Not sure if that would also have to do with emailing an entire group, but that would be my best guess.

Update: I just tested what I suggested above and when I flipped the "Send messages to the entire class" to enabled I was able to log in as a student and message all students in a group (see image below). Yet, if you don't want students to have this permission, we actually don't allow students this permission, then you can remind students that they can select more than one student at a time from the drop-down list by holding down the Ctrl key and then clicking on the name of each student. Let me know if this helps!

MessageAll.png

View solution in original post

jwhite
Community Member

@kona ​--thank you so much, that worked!!  I really appreciate your helping me figure this out.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Very good! Glad it worked for you!