cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andre_hargunani
Community Member

How can we calculate a course grade from the Mastery Learning gradebook?

I can only find a way for an overall course grade to be calculated from the traditional gradebook.  How do we set up the gradebook to calculate the overall course grade from the Learning Mastery gradebook?  I have all of the Outcomes set up in the course, and the Assignments have the Outcomes as Criteria.  So when the assignments are graded, the assignment grade automatically goes into the traditional gradebook and the outcome grades automatically go into the learning mastery gradebook.  There are several options for calculating the learning mastery score for each outcome, but I don't see a way to calculate an overall course grade from these scores.  Please help.  Thanks!

4 Replies
kenneth_rogers
Instructure
Instructure

Hi there,  @andre_hargunani   and  Welcome to the Canvas Community!

I've done some looking around and can't seem to find anyone else that's had a similar issue, and I don't have much experience in this area, so I'm going to share this with the Higher Education‌ group to see if someone in that space has a solution for you. You won't need to join that space if you don't want to, as the communication will still happen in this area!

@kenneth_rogers , here I am -- over here -- I heard you were looking for someone with similar issues.

That inability to compute grades based off how much they had mastered was so bad that I stopped using learning mastery outcomes after just one term. I ended up writing some code that would download the outcomes to a spreadsheet, where I could do a pivot table and calculate the grade. Then I transferred the scores back into the gradebook. That was in the summer of 2015. It was a nightmare for me and there are probably other people with better experiences. Hopefully one of them can chime in.

In the meantime, this possibly related feature idea is open for voting: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/9178-calculate-final-letter-grade-based-on-the-percent-of-stan... as well as this discussion https://community.canvaslms.com/message/51662-assess-outcomes-directly-in-gradebook 

@James   -  Thank You for your thorough input here and providing the links to the additional resources. Hopefully  @andre_hargunani  finds your post as helpful as I do!

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @andre_hargunani ...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I stumbled upon your question.  I wanted to check in with you because we have not heard back from you since you first posted this question on February 8, 2018.  It looks like both  @kenneth_rogers  and  @James  have provided some feedback for you.  Have you had an opportunity to review their responses? If so, did either of their responses help to answer your question?  Do you have any outstanding questions as it relates to your original question?  If you feel that one of the above replies has helped to answer your question, please go ahead and mark it as "Correct".  However, if you are still looking for some assistance with this question, please come back to this thread to post an update so that someone from the Community might be able to assist you.  For now, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because we've not heard back from you and because there hasn't been any new activity here in quite a while.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's aright with you, Andre.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.