cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor

How do I access an exported class? Is there a better way to save?

Jump to solution

Goal: To save a Fall 2019 Class for future use

I have imported my sp 2020 into fall 2020.  Good to go.

Question: To save a Fall 2019 class, I exported it. Hoping to access it for future use - not this semester.

**Where is it exported to? I clicked on New Export. Looks like it saved to my own computer, but did not open.

Question: Is there a different process I should take to save a course for future use? (Our university is doing a 'clean up' and we are to save our own courses.)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

emily.lower@uvu.edu Welcome to the Canvas Community!

It's great that you're planning ahead, and it sounds like you've done everything correctly. The reason you're not able to open the export package directly from your computer is that there is no associated application for it; the export package needs to be imported into a Canvas course—whenever you're ready to use it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

emily.lower@uvu.edu Welcome to the Canvas Community!

It's great that you're planning ahead, and it sounds like you've done everything correctly. The reason you're not able to open the export package directly from your computer is that there is no associated application for it; the export package needs to be imported into a Canvas course—whenever you're ready to use it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted

That was exactly my question. I have a class this semester that is going to be canceled for low enrollment. I want to save all the work I did for the Spring when I will teach the same class again. The page I get after exporting the class says that "Content export files cannot be downloaded after 30 days.". It will be more than 30 days before I have a Spring class to import the content into. What do I do?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Learner II

Hello!

I regularly use the export / import features. They're awesome and help mitigate the need to constantly recreate course content. One thing to know about the "export" feature is that there is a bit of delay. You'll get an email with a link to the page once it's ready; you can also navigate to the same place by going to settings> exports. This is how a recent export looks for me:

Screen Shot 2020-08-13 at 9.01.02 PM.png

When you click that blue hyperlink, it prompts you to download an .imscc file. That's a canvas export package file. You won't be able to open it on your computer, but you will be able to import it to new courses!

I could go into greater detail on how to import but will leave off here. LMK if you'd like help on how to import!

Highlighted

Thanks so much for your response. Does that mean that I can click on the blue hyperlink 4-5 months from now and then download it into a new course? Or do I have to click on that link within 30 days? If that's the case, I'm assuming theirs a way to download it to my computer without being able to open it.

Again, thanks so much for your help!

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Glad to help!

You will want to download the export now. Like you mentioned, they do expire. Once you have the file saved, it’s easy to import it to a new course!

0 Kudos
Top Kudoed Authors
Labels