cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OldSchoolLake
Surveyor

How do I access the videos I'm making?

Jump to solution

Many of mine are video announcements. Is there a way for me to download them after I create them?  I was hoping to find a list of them with dates posted somewhere similar to the list I have access to in 'files.'

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi @OldSchoolLake ...

Thanks for your additional posting.  That's interesting what you've now found.  I would suggest that you reach out directly to Canvas Support to ask more about this.  Please come back to provide an update when you know more info...thanks!  How do I contact Canvas Support? - Canvas Community

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, @OldSchoolLake ...

In the Canvas Release Notes (2020-11-21) - Canvas Community, there is a section on Uploaded Media File Placement...where you should be able to now see those files.  There's also a screencast that tells more about this: New Rich Content Editor: Uploaded Media File Place... - Canvas Community.  Do you think this will meet your needs?

Hi...I'm just getting back to this problem I was having.  I went through and read the content and watched the screencast clip.  I was able to follow it back to the "uploaded files" folder in the Files section.  This was helpful.  

HOWEVER...they are not all there.  I was able to access only some of the videos that I've recorded for this particular class.  I noticed that there were only videos I had created in January.  Mine should date back to the beginning of December.  

Would you be able to tell me why I can only see some of the videos and not all of them?

I appreciate the help, but it doesn't look like I've solved my problem completely.  Is there one more step you can help me with?

Thanks again for your help.  I feel like I'm almost there.
Geoff Lake

Hello there, @OldSchoolLake ...

Good to hear from you again!  Unfortunately, I don't have great news for you.  After confirming with someone at Instructure, the "New RCE: Upload Media File Placement" feature was pushed to all Canvas users on December 19, 2020.  (See Canvas Release Notes (2020-12-19) - Canvas Community.)  If you are looking for any of your videos that you had recorded prior to December 19th, those will not be listed in one of the "Files" areas described in the Release Notes.  This new feature only applies to videos that have been recorded after December 19th.

Sorry that I don't have better news for you on this front...but I hope this helps to answer your question.

Hey...  So I appreciate your response and if I can't access them, then I'll learn to live with it, but what I'm not understanding is...

The videos are right there.  I can view them on the announcements tab and they are all right there.  So, where are the files located?  I can see them.  But there's no way to access the file that I created?  I'm not understanding that part. The file IS somewhere and seems like it should be accessible...somewhere.

thanks again.

Geoff

Hi again, @OldSchoolLake ...

I get it...I'm right there with you.  It's my understanding that those videos are placed on some sort of media server, but up until the change in December, it was pretty hard to get to those files...if not impossible.  I'll be totally up front with you, though...I've never tried to find out where they are.  I'm an administrator for our school's Canvas environment and do not teach courses, so I've really not needed to use the same video tool you've used in Canvas.  But, I completely understand the thinking that the files should be *there* .... just *where* that location is, well...that's another story.

Not sure if this fully answers your question, but I hope it helps.  There may be others here in the Community who may know of other work-arounds to try and fine those files that were uploaded prior to December 19th.

OldSchoolLake
Surveyor

Hi again...  It's been a little while since I had started this vine.  However, I tried to go access the videos in the "uploaded media" file in the Files tab.  After I downloaded one of the files available, I tried to play it and I got the following message, "The document “[Untitled Fri Feb 05 2021 09_57_35 GMT-0800 (Pacific Standard Time)]” could not be opened. QuickTime Player cannot open files in the “data” format."

The file didn't download as an MP4.  I don't think it was in a video format.  So I'm feeling a little back to square one again.  I really just want to be able to access these videos.

Can you help me with this?  If not, can you refer me to someone who can?

Thanks in advance.

Hi @OldSchoolLake ...

Thanks for your additional posting.  That's interesting what you've now found.  I would suggest that you reach out directly to Canvas Support to ask more about this.  Please come back to provide an update when you know more info...thanks!  How do I contact Canvas Support? - Canvas Community

View solution in original post

0 Kudos